2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished washing the car and whilst doing so a fairly large patch of paint came off the passenger front A pillar. There was no paint damage prior to this or stone chips in that area. It's a 2014 so not exactly very old - I can't believe this can happen on a 5 year old car. Annoyed is an understatement!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not had peeling, but my civic has a long strip of paintwork down the side (about 5cm high by 1.5m long, going across both rear and front doors) where it's been over polished & paint has faded.

Paint job on these is abysmal it seems, I've read & heard loads of people complaining about it. I thought Honda stood for quality....?

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep not good at all - will have to get it resprayed asap otherwise I'll have a nice rust patch instead.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did, A pillar no stone-chips/damage whatsoever two chips fell off (only the upper layer was gone, under there the primer was visible)
Fixed under warranty. 2013 car (Orchid White Pearl)

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I had to quickly wash the car off again after work today due to some birds taking target practice all over my bonnet and roof - was only parked there 2 hours! Anyway, as I'm spraying off all the bird crud on the passenger side, I look over at the drivers side A pillar where it runs along the windscreen - and I have the start of paint peeling off there as well. This is ridiculous - my GT Four is 22 years old on the original paint and you don't see that peeling off.

Looks like within 12 months both of my entire A pillars will have no paint - I'm scared to put a sponge to it now. I understand the warranty on paint is only 3 years but this shouldn't be happening on a 5 year old car and it's clearly not an isolated case after some quick googling. In America they had this issue with droves of customers experiencing the problem and Honda extended the warranty to 7 years.

This is not acceptable - paint shouldn't just peel off the car after 5 years. In fact I wasn't even aware of such a problem until it happened to mine. At first I was scratching my head trying to think whether or not some bird crud was left on the bodywork too long or a stone chip had caused it. This can't be the case now the other A pillar is starting to go as well. I had my 8th gen for 5 years and covered about 95k in it. Being the daily driver it was subjected to all weathers, road salt, bird crud, tar, you name it. No paint started peeling off that car - in fact, I think I've owned around 12 cars since 1997 and not one of them had peeling paint - not even my trusty £50 1986 Ford Fiesta Popular Plus :grin2:

I'll finish my ranting here but I certainly don't think I'll be buying another Honda ever again. I suspect there's many of you on here with 9th gens that have just been lucky up to now - god help you if your paint starts peeling off a few years down the line from now. This will hurt Honda UK in the long run - just 10 minutes searching has revealed owners of the Jazz and CRV also experiencing this problem on even newer cars.

Ultimately the question is this - does one find it acceptable to have paint peeling off a 5 year old car, or should this just be considered wear and tear? Or put another way - if you spend 9k on a car, is it acceptable to have paint peeling off it 10 months later?

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
you need to take it back to a Honda Dealership and get them to look at it and also get Honda UK involved, hopefully they should sort it out for you

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep I'll be sending Honda UK a message first - will update this thread if any progress is made.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You might get some goodwill especially if its got a full Honda history

Ultimately though the problem is with the water based paint used on most modern cars - it might be ecologically friendly in use but isnt anywhere near as good as paint on, say, a 22-year old GT4

That's progress for you :frown2:

·
Registered
379 Posts
I've no evidence but could it possibly be to do with the paintwork being affected by the cold weather when they frost over. I don't have the problem but I garage the car in the winter for the convenience of being able to drive away quickly.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,228 Posts
I don't have the paint issue but the alloys on mine are in terrible condition for a 4 year old car... Will be my last Honda... Read too many bad stories regarding various quality issues with the 10G...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts