2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Batmobiles Rule ✌
6,587 Posts
Very interesting and right. The main reason for buying a bbk (and the reason I opted for one) is to stop brake fade when driving hard. The standard brakes are good for a couple of high speed stops then start to die. A bbk doesn't do this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The article actually contradicts itself with this statement:

"Because these brakes dissipate heat more effectively, they reduce brake fade. Brake fade occurs under high temperatures, can be caused by boiled brake fluid, and results in a soft pedal and elongated stopping distances."

Most people know that the limit of a braking system would be attributed to the tyres grip on the road....BUT under heavy load, Bigger more efficient brakes stop problems like Brake Fade, where normal brakes might suffer and thus offer better braking distances in those situations.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
I can't read the link as it won't load for me :confused:

Mine definitely stops me quicker at higher speeds, where the standard brakes couldn't break the tyres grip at that speed. I can get the ABS to come in ridiculously easy now regardless of speed, something the standard set up couldn't do.

But that's not why I bought them - I got them so I could stop repeatedly, over and over again, hard, while on track. My standard brakes wouldn't do that.

It's true though, below a certain speed I'm not stopping any quicker than with the standard set up :)

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers fellas i think i just had in my head that by buying a 4-6 pot bbk you would be looking at halfing the stopping distances currently being delivered by oem setup

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Without even reading the article I'm saying balls . they definitely stop you better And quicker and as touched on will do it repeatedly from well into triple figures

·
Go Hard or Go Home!
2,063 Posts
When i had my civic with a bbk, it allowed me to carry more speed and brake later with confidence unlike the oem sponge setup where you had to always allow plenty of braking distance and allow for fade to guaruntee not ploughing into something

Reactions: TH3DOCTOR

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Whilst true that your stopping distance is limited by the grip of the tyre before lock-up, most of us running grippy tyres have much more overhead for increased stopping power before friction is overcome.

An aggressive race pad on stock rotors, hoses etc would probably give you the same stopping distance on a street legal tyre as a BBK, yes.

But the BBK would do 30 laps without fading and the stock setup just 3 laps.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Of course you'll get improved stopping power - you're utilising larger discs and pad areas than in the standard caliper.

Combined with the ability to dissipate heat more rapidly to prevent fade you've got an all around improvement.

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Without even reading the article I'm saying balls . they definitely stop you better And quicker and as touched on will do it repeatedly from well into triple figures
Cheers stoney i thought this was the case - when i went out it the red supercharged fn2 at tdi south the very late braking sold me on a bbk would have been impossible on the standard stoppers. Just reading things like the above article make one doubt the effectiveness. Still will feedback my thoughts once they are fitted:)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Of course you'll get improved stopping power - you're utilising larger discs and pad areas than in the standard caliper.

Combined with the ability to dissipate heat more rapidly to prevent fade you've got an all around improvement.
The article fails to state the main assumption - tyre friction limits are exceeded by the stock setup already.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
The article fails to state the main assumption - tyre friction limits are exceeded by the stock setup already.
For an article that is trying to base their justification on physics, it seems quite narrow minded.

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts

·
Stuart
580 Posts
Can they not be exceeded by OEM brakes?

If I press my brakes hard on OEM set-up Im pretty sure I can get ABS to kick in.

For an article that is trying to base their justification on physics, it seems quite narrow minded.
Obviously this is not an exhaustive study, and is clearly titled as such, to spark debate...which it achieved here :)

I think the main point of the article was to perhaps get across the point that BBK on it's own is not a silver bullet for increased stopping power. So to hint to the reader that looking at your tyre choice as a priority over BBK...Its certainly what I took from it. Only then will I get the full benefit of my money spent, should I choose to buy a BBK.

Not once did the article state that a BBK is not effective, or not worth buying.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Considering the article title is a flat out lie, not sure I agree there!

·
Stuart
580 Posts
Considering the article title is a flat out lie, not sure I agree there!
Aggressively titling an article with challenging statements is one way to get attention to it...we see this sort of thing every day of our lives.

However it doesn't necessarily reflect the rest of the contents.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Aggressively titling an article with challenging statements is one way to get attention to it...we see this sort of thing every day of our lives.

However it doesn't necessarily reflect the rest of the contents.
Not sure of the point you're trying to make here.
The article starts with a lie and then tries to use selective application of physics to back up the lie.

I wouldn't say it was challenging or thought provoking - just misleading.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts