2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'am a satisfied gen 8 driver. I bought it immediately after it was presented as the successor of the gen 7. I never had a Honda before but it has been a good decision, I still like it.
At this moment I'am still in doubt. Should I buy the new Civic or a different brand?
When the gen 9 was lanched I had the intention to buy it. "It could only be better as the gen 8." But then I saw the first pictures, exterior and interior, and suddenly there was a big doubt. Now after one year I can only conclude more Honda Civic drivers are sharing this feeling. Over the last year I have seen only two new gen 9 on the road. One of them was even a dealer demo car. If you see an Civic on the road, you see an gen 8.
After 7 years I would like to replace mine gen 8. But not by the present gen 9. First I thought I would get used to it. But to be honest I don't see myself buying a car I don't like. For me personally, it doesn't look good to much details have been removed. I can't even encourage myself to testdrive it.

So, why should't we help Honda. After all Honda is able to make beautiful reliable cars.
Can't we help them making a list of improvements needed to convince us gen 8 drivers to by a gen 10. Hopefully this will be lanched sooner as exspected because the present sales figures of the gen 9 in the Netherlands are dramatic.

Honda asked non Civic drivers why they didn't buy it.
Time to inform them, why Civic gen 8 drivers will not buy a gen 9.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Gen 9 are very ugly looking IMO
I see a few round in the Chester area and I can't help think mine looks a hell of a lot nicer

As for helping Honda, it doesn't make any difference because I very much doubt they would take on board any negative feedback

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

·
Honda nut
2,793 Posts
tbh the 9th gen is growing on me but I dont think it's anywhere near as pretty as the 8th gen .The new type R will have to be something pretty special for me to give up my fn2 .That said as with all honda's im sure the 9h gen is cracking to drive .

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
9g is butt ugly.... as said above need to be stonking type r to get me to take it on

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I see quite a lot of 9 gens, actually. It's a very good car with some body design flaws (I'm not too keen on the rear end) but still much more attractive than German cars (boring) and Korean (they look cheaply made in real life).

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
I am looking to change my car at the moment would have a 9g if i could find one at a sensible price. The price is too much for me because in the absence of Type S diesel there is not a sporty diesel in the list so if I go down the Civic route i either need to buy an EX Gt, lots of money or add Kryptons and dynamic pack on a lesser model.

I haven't ruled out the 9g yet but feel a bit let down and that they are missing out on a lot of customers by going down the dull and eco route.
Been looking at Golf GTd and Sirocco today but still not made up my mind

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
Honda do keep an eye on this forum - they would be rather daft if they didn't, as it's free feedback for them.
Do they take any notice - I doubt it, but the latest Civic does have a rear wiper;).

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Starting to see alot more 9G's on the road now. Starting to warm to the exterior, seen some PR shots with various body kits and it does look better, also think the rear ain't too bad. Just don't like that interior, seems a step back, handbreak on the wrong side, cheap dials and the steering wheel looks plastic.

Out of all the complaints on here about the 8G and one of the few things taken forward was a rear wiper, that would've been last on my list of improvements...

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
I think there was a lot of feedback in the huge 9 gen thread on here just after it came out.

The question is really do Honda want to listen?

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
I haven't ruled out the 9g yet but feel a bit let down and that they are missing out on a lot of customers by going down the dull and eco route.
Been looking at Golf GTd and Sirocco today but still not made up my mind[/QUOTE]

Wanted to try and explain a bit better, the economy on the 9g is fantastic in diesel form but just trying to find the right words to explain how i feel about the complete lack of a anyway near sporty looking version.

with the kryptons and Dynamic pack I think the look really good but should we need to spend 3k on top just to be happy with its looks?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I think 10th gen is a bit far, certainly the midlife face lift (also known as giving colour coded plastics and HID headlights on higher models) may be where we are currently.

Agreed a decent halo model that also hides the rear end ugliness (subjective) would do just fine.

Honda have hyped the new R, they deliver they will get me in a 9.5gen, if not my 8gen will be too old and I am off!.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Just the looks that let it down I think. People were expecting another exotic good looking car, Honda didn't deliver ! The interior materials are a step up and its a nice place to be but first impressions count and the first thing you see is the exterior ....which sucks.

·
Premium Member
6,314 Posts
I've seen a few more since I bought my 9th gen IMO the civic is more of an evolution exterior and interior the materials on the inside are much better with some soft touch plastics yeah it may have last some of the charm that 8th gen had but honda has got some other things right with the 9th gen

·
Registered
91 Posts
A good start would be to bring back the option of a 3 door which always improves the looks.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
One major issue with the 8G from press and owners was rear visibility, what did Honda do, spend about £50 on a wiper and £10 on a heater element, I had a 7G and it had both so where did they go forward on the 9G?... simple they did not and they kept a two piece rear screen and then stuck the rear lights on.

Honda are not good at listening, the project designer is after boot space, yet the suspension just happens to be cheaper too!.

The marketing evokes a desire, the reality is cut costs, make do, give them as cheap an upgrade as possible!

They have lost their way big time IMO. Cutting edge, what if is where I am, not what the feck are you doing!

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
I see more 9Gs around here than I do 8Gs... that must say something!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I see more 9Gs around here than I do 8Gs... that must say something!
That is down to area, no way has the 9G outsold the 8G in its short life (yet) if ever it will!

Not sure how that comment will ever help push Honda into making a better 9.5G or 10G either :/ No one has ever grown a market share by sitting on its laurels!

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
That is down to area, no way has the 9G outsold the 8G in its short life (yet) if ever it will!
Well of course. I'm suggesting that the 9G appeals to a consumer base around here that the 8G doesn't...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts