2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..... and it got nothin' to do with the car !

As many of you know, i do loads of Miles in my 8th Gen ( approx 22,000/Yr ) and have been well happy with all my 8th Gens ( This is my 3rd ).

Recently went into a Steeler who i have been doing business with for many many years and Asked about the new 1.6 oil burner to replace my now 4 year old type "S"

Now all i want is a reliable car thats going to get me from A & B up and down the M4 once or twice a week...

So asked about SE Model with parking sensors on the back... was quoted over £20K + delivery charges... umm how about if you did the sensors for nil , may be interested then i asked ??

Nope can't do that, but will give you "extra" p/x on my type S ok i said lets work out a cost to change i said.....

My Car + £15K he said due to the "High" millage on my Car (82K) Gulp !

Said i would think about it and walked out and drive across the road to an AUDI Steeler...

Bog Standard A3 SE in Red £19.5K (about the same as Civic 1.6 SE) said he would intall rear sensors for free and give me £6k p/x on my Car.....

You can see why Civics are not going very well...

BUT I still want the civic... lol just waiting for a Test Drive next week...

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
That is why I am going down a car size with my next car. The cost of new cars is silly compared to six and a half years ago when I got my civic.

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Fully understand we're your coming from henbery, perhaps a different dealership will offer something a bit nearer to what you want. At the moment am not thinking of a change, but you never know.

When you have had your test drive please let us know your thoughts :)

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
You won't get a big discount on the 1.6 as it is new to market. The 2.2 however is a different story.

I had a letter inviting me down to the local dealer stating they are offering £6,850 discount on new 2.2 EXs. That is not to be sniffed at to be honest.

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
You should also try other honda dealers.

Make them fight for a sale.

After all the salesman get commission on the cars they sell plus any extras like service deals.

Tell them what this dealer can do for you and see if they can match it or go better.

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
Why buy new and lose a stack of cash when you drive it off the forecourt? I'd wait until there are a few 2nd hand ones knocking around and buy then.:)

??? really?.Are you in the habit of selling your cars the minute you 'drive it off the forecourt'?? cos thats the only way you will 'lose a stack of cash'.

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
I think Staffs is referring to the big hit in depreciation all cars have in the first few years. Buy new and sell in 2-3 years and you've lost a lot of money you can't get back selling on.

Reactions: Staffs Deltic

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
So Dan, you're saying that if I drove it back in 5 minutes later and wanted to sell it you'd give me the same amount back?

You might not lose the physical cash but large chunk of the value is lost as soon as you drive it away. Good luck getting that back if you want to sell within a couple of years.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,879 Posts
So Dan, you're saying that if I drove it back in 5 minutes later and wanted to sell it you'd give me the same amount back?

You might not lose the physical cash but large chunk of the value is lost as soon as you drive it away. Good luck getting that back if you want to sell within a couple of years.
Yes, the 20% VAT you paid is lost as soon as you own it, at least!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

I think Dan was just saying that selling it immediately after driving it off the forecourt was an uncommon scenario.

I suppose most private buyers that buy new do tend to hang on to cars for a while to get a decent amount of value out of them.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
You have to, due to the amount of depreciation that happens in the short period after purchase!
Uncommon or not, the fact remains that the car's value is rapidly reduced at the start of ownership.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Nothing wrong with buying a brand new car, all yours and no one else has had it! Man i wish i was able to afford it, instead im a cheapskate who will get a 3 year old one and go private lol

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Why change at all ?

If you really like / love your 8th. Gen. (as I do), do a regular five year preventive maintenance / life extension / refurb program - you can get 15 or 20 years of low cost and reliable driving, in your "spaceship" :cool:

That's what I'm doing with my 5-door 1.8 - five years old - got ABP Motorsport to do a ton of work on it last summer (most of the cost was actually 'mods' though)

Apart from 'consumable' items - things like drop links, suspension bushes, fuel filter, paint chips, etc. - all need changed / fixed on a max five year cycle

After ten years, I'd be looking at internal trim / seats, wheel bearings, engine mounts, underbody rust

Still a hell of a lot cheaper than buying new cars, and you still get to drive a Spaceship :D

·
World Traveller
1,814 Posts
Really? 30% off? Where's this dreamland?
I had one similar but to be honest binned it straight away as I'm 20 and the car isn't for me at the moment...

But then again maybe I should think twice now my not even 2 year old car is apparently having its electrics stripped and checked due to a electrical problem... Even still I would buy the 9th gen at the moment, but my local dealer does have a very nice nhb fn2 at the moment.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Really? 30% off? Where's this dreamland?
Wigan. As per Stevo, binned as we're not in a position to buy at the moment due to the wife's redundancy :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
The advert relates to "used" cars, if you read it carefully.
These will undoubtedly be pre registered.
No way will you get nearly £7K off a brand new Civic.......IMO!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts