2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was that recent issue regarding an under specced battery cable that caused BMW's to suddenly stop, and caused a UK fatality. If BMW had acted faster then it may not have happened.

There is now another issue that BMW are dragging their heels to fix, keeping quiet, etc:

More than 130,000 BMW owners have not been warned they are driving cars at risk of bursting into flames.

BMW pledged to contact drivers about the potentially lethal fault last October but has so far issued warnings to fewer than half of owners affected.

The fault affects more than 250,000 cars in the UK – 1.6million worldwide – and can cause flammable coolant to leak on to the burning hot exhaust system near the engine, potentially triggering a fire.

The recall includes the 1 Series, 2 Series, 3 Series, 4 Series, 5 Series, 6 Series and 7 Series, as well as its X1, X3, X4, X5 and X6 SUVS – or sports utility vehicles.

BMW has stressed it is 'extremely rare' for this fault to cause a fire, but could not give figures on how many times it has happened.

The company has admitted the first car fire linked to this fault occurred in 2015, but insisted the cause was still unclear.

It said it became aware of the connection between the faulty EGR cooler and the fires on July 20 last year, after a 'pattern' was established.

But the company faces criminal investigation in South Korea and a £7million fine after dozens of car fires there. It could now face a parliamentary inquiry in the UK.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
For the many minor niggles people have experienced with the 10G, At least none of them are potentially life threatening:- It's not just BMW; I've got a friend who recently started at VW, and every time I see him there seems to be a new recall notice issued that ends in the car catching fire:- The starter motor sticking on, and faulty wiring in the roof lining being two of the examples I've heard.

·
Enjoying life
8,503 Posts
Oh dear, that's not good.

·
Registered
216 Posts
For the many minor niggles people have experienced with the 10G, At least none of them are potentially life threatening:- It's not just BMW; I've got a friend who recently started at VW, and every time I see him there seems to be a new recall notice issued that ends in the car catching fire:- The starter motor sticking on, and faulty wiring in the roof lining being two of the examples I've heard.
I wouldn’t call two gear box failures minor niggles in the fk8 I had but there we go.

I’ve had 7 months of problem free motoring in my M2.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
I've seen this fault first hand in July 2017. Not a car I owned, it was someone passing through my village and he pulled into the lay-by with what he thought was electrical issues. I was cycling out of my street as he pulled in and I saw flames under the car. I helped him get his stuff out before it went up in flames! (he started taking photo's first so I joined in!)

[URL=https://s1377.photobucket.com/user/brooksfamily26/media/IMG_7034_zpswigp3vn7.jpg.html][/URL]

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I wouldn’t call two gear box failures minor niggles in the fk8 I had but there we go.
I saw flames under the car. I helped him get his stuff out before it went up in flames!
I'd take transmission failures over being turned into a rotisserie chicken :p

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,027 Posts
Good old German marques! They seem to do everything they can to avoid paying out on any kind of warranty work.

Meanwhile my 12year old Honda keeps chugging along soaking up the miles.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
have you got a source for the article ?

my wife has a 12 month old 2 series BMW which makes what the article says quite concerning

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,229 Posts
Nice of that bloke to pull over next to the bushes where he could also start a nice Forrest fire too :laugh2:

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Typical considerate BMW driver - my car's stuffed so let's stuff as much of everything else that's possible!!

Al.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
No car is 100% reliable, just some are more unreliable than others.
Had 2 BMW 1 series with no issues.
The key is how well the issues are sorted out, that is where the German car industry lets itself down.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts