2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit the back of an Audi TT a few weeks ago, both cars have since been repaired at my expense and I took the opportunity to upgrade the front and rear splitters to GP..

Parked my car outside my house over the weekend and have just discovered that it's been reversed into by a car with a tow bar..

Damage is quite bad, splitter is all bent, bumper bent and partly off, in fact the whole front end is out of shape..

I've measured the height from the road to the centre of the damage and will be going home and measuring heights of tow bars on cars that park in my street (I think I know who it is) and they will be getting a visit..

All I want to do is hurt them.. badly. I can't prove anything but if the heights match exactly and he denies it there's a real risk that I will..

Please advise.. I'm so angry!!!

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Absolutely gutted for you mate.

All I will suggest is that you don't do anything drastic that may end up causing you more problems in the long run than it's worth.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What a nightmare mate, any CCTV in the area? Go and knock his lights out:D
No CCTV, there's only one, maybe two cars that park down my street with tow bars.. the height from the road to the ball should prove it (in my eyes) I'm just likely to end up getting arrested if he denies it and I know it's him..:mad:

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
The paint on tow bars is usually matt like primer isnt it??

have a look closely, there might be some red on it?? or tell tale scrapes at least..

could be bent out of shape? etc etc...

Hope all is sorted soon!

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The paint on tow bars is usually matt like primer isnt it??

have a look closely, there might be some red on it?? or tell tale scrapes at least..

could be bent out of shape? etc etc...

Hope all is sorted soon!
It hit the number plate, which fortunately absorbed most of the impact, I think it would have gone through the bumper otherwise..

I will be having a very close inspection..

I just hope he admits it and claims he saw no obvious damage..

·
Cleaning Moderator
12,664 Posts
Good luck, hope you get them. Paint on tow bar would be great, but I would assume they would have scraped any evidence off. Therefore, take a touch up stick & put some on!!!! Hope justice is done.

·
iVTEC, do you?
428 Posts
I know it does not help.... But really feel for you buddy.....

It is stories like this that make me think i should put up CCTV on the side of my house to protect my baby.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I know it does not help.... But really feel for you buddy.....

It is stories like this that make me think i should put up CCTV on the side of my house to protect my baby.
I plan to do exactly that when I move to my new place. Cameras either side of my front window should catch a wide angle of where I will park my car. Linked up to motion detection means I will catch anyone even looking at my car from close up.

Sorry to hear about your car though BBigGG, I will be honest if I knew who it was but they didn't own up, my tow ring my accidentally do the same to their car...

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I plan to do exactly that when I move to my new place. Cameras either side of my front window should catch a wide angle of where I will park my car. Linked up to motion detection means I will catch anyone even looking at my car from close up.

Sorry to hear about your car though BBigGG, I will be honest if I knew who it was but they didn't own up, my tow ring my accidentally do the same to their car...
I've considered it too, but I live on quite a long street and parking is bad, quite often I'll be parked 5-10 houses away.. Last weekend though I was parked right outside..

·
iVTEC, do you?
428 Posts
I've considered it too, but I live on quite a long street and parking is bad, quite often I'll be parked 5-10 houses away.. Last weekend though I was parked right outside..
Try painting a disabled parking only box in front of your house. :)

I remember reading about some guy trying that and it took a few years before council questioned it.... Not sure on the outcome though.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try painting a disabled parking only box in front of your house. :)

I remember reading about some guy trying that and it took a few years before council questioned it.... Not sure on the outcome though.
I've even considered that too! and a giant inflatable caravan or something.. a bit more hassle than it's worth! ;)

·
UKDM
779 Posts
A friend of mine had there brand new car keyed down both sides the other day, the first night they had it.

I like to think that every so often one of these scum bags who thinks it ok to do something like this gets caught and receives a beating

·
Type R GT Milano GP Kit
2,262 Posts
As much as it pains you the other thought is if you measuring the towbar from the road it won't be acurate as no road is completely flat and the side of a road dips for water drainage so that'll be no way of finding out. But if the guy has never used his tow bar to your knowledge look for scuffs on their towbar. ;)

·
UKDM
779 Posts
Is it possible they might not have noticed if it was the towbar that hit? Just before you go in all guns blazing :)

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts

You can get in-car devices that auto-record when they detect a collision... I'm getting more and more tempted to buy one with incidents such as this occurring.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is it possible they might not have noticed if it was the towbar that hit? Just before you go in all guns blazing :)
No chance, not when you see the damage on my car.. granted the tow bar is bolted to the chassis but they would have noticed when their car came to an abrupt stop!

I can't go in all guns blazing, can I? It will only end up worse for me.. believe me that's all I want to do..

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Sorry to hear that buddy. Really hope you get it shorted. I can understand how these things can be extremely frustrating. Keep a cool head mate, you don't want to jump to conclusion, and end up blaming the wrong person. All the best in this instance.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry to hear that buddy. Really hope you get it shorted. I can understand how these things can be extremely frustrating. Keep a cool head mate, you don't want to jump to conclusion, and end up blaming the wrong person. All the best in this instance.
Thanks for that, good advice - I'll do my best!:)

I'll update you all later, I'll be going home in an hour with tape measure (& baseball bat;)) in hand.

·
Banned
2,328 Posts
Hi mate im gutted for you.

A similiar thing happened to my dad were some IDIOT on our street reversed his van into my dads car when he was turning around. Luckily there was indented red paint all over my dads silver car from the dropside van, which i took lots of photo's off. We also inspectd the van and found the exact point of damage on his car, accompanied with silver paint.

My dad put in the claim to find out that they initially told him they were NOT going to pursue it... even though my dad had photographic evidence, the guy denied it and said it wasn't him. My dad told them he would go to the ombudsman, he got a call back 15 minutes later and they pursued the claim and recovered all losses.

I still see the guy every few days, he's a propper scum bag. I see him looking at my car and i just have a horrible feeling one day my car is going to be keyed up or something. If he does, me and my dad will ruin him, literally.

I hate scum bags that do stuff like that, really really gets to me.

Hope all works out mate.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts