2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
car is a 2007 fn2..one minute everything is fine I park up and go do the shopping. when I come back to the car put the key in and everything seems normal, but I do notice that the speedo doesn't light up with the normal big 0..try starting the car and it turns over fine but wont fire and as the engine turns over the lights on the rev counter start dimming..the battery is fine and when I remove the key and try again same result, no speed readout and wont fire even though it is turning over fine, anyone had a problem like this, its beginning to sound expensive :(

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
I would say check the battery connections and maybe the battery, is this the original oem battery because if it it then its around 8-9 years old from manufacture so will be on borrowed time

·
Super Moderator
21,035 Posts
Normally if it won't fire we point people to the under dash reset switch but yours sounds a but more.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers for the quick replies guys..the battery was changed about 6 months ago so its fine and as I say the engine turns over fine and everything lights up normal except the speedo :confused: silly question but would disconnecting the battery have any re-set procedure effect on the ecu..

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it turns out the ecu has had a spike from somewhere possibly the alternater which has wiped the keycode from it hence it wont start because it doesn't recognise the key.. the mechanic brought up the info on screen which said that the ecu on early models was prone to spiking so as of 2010 it was changed for a more robust version. it sholdnt be a big job to re-program it using the correct software and I'm guessing only Honda have that :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
it turns out the ecu has had a spike from somewhere possibly the alternater which has wiped the keycode from it hence it wont start because it doesn't recognise the key.. the mechanic brought up the info on screen which said that the ecu on early models was prone to spiking so as of 2010 it was changed for a more robust version. it sholdnt be a big job to re-program it using the correct software and I'm guessing only Honda have that :rolleyes:[/QUOT

low battery in fob will give same issues, the fob works immobilizer so will allow car to crank but not fire, also check if there is a key reset procedure to re marry fob with ecu before spending out on a ecu,, or if have had a new ecu check they put a new one in just in case.
http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_7492453_reset-grand-cherokee-reset-antitheft.html like this

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cheers mike anything is worth a try :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts