2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently locked in an argument......no, a discussion, with my wife. I want (would like) a Type R GT, and am currently driving a 1.8 vtec ex!
Her argument is why would I want a car with less spec, which will cost more for all my toys to be put into as optional extras! And as for my argument that I am having a 35 year old mid life crisis and want a sports car, she beats that away with the fact that I cannot use it on UK roads for it's speed anyway and would end up with copious amonts of speed tickets!!
The other major sticking point is that I have 3 kids and the Type R has only 4 seats so we could not all go out together in it!
Does the 'S' have 5 seats as an alternative? and is it worth the change?
Or do I get rid of one of the kids or the wife??:five:

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
show a picture of the wife first. maybe trade in for some 19" storms???

·
Civic's got Big Booty !
184 Posts
show a picture of the wife first. maybe trade in for some 19" storms???
No your not having a mid life crisis, if you were you would not be asking us and would have posted...

ghowarth said:
I have just traded my 1.8 VTEC EX, missus and three kids in for a Type R GT with all the toys and an 18 yr old blond lingerie model, do you think I am mad?
:eek::eek::eek:

DISCLAIMER: ghowarth did not really post this (just to keep him out of trouble if his missus reads this)

Oh and the S has 5 seats btw

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Get the diesel version of the EX, get it re-mapped....Celtic Tuning or Superchips offer around 190bhp

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
I suppose she does have a point with the fact you have three kids and you all won't fit in. :(

Fortunately I only have two, but my wife still pointed out that her Mum would not fit in if we needed to give her a lift somewhere. I said good point and ordered the car there and then. :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
The 'not being able to use it on UK roads' argument is rubbish. I find with the Type R it's all about the dynamics of getting to the speed limit quicker than most. :D

On a nice quiet, B or small A road, between 3rd and 4th gear you can keep it firmly in VTEC, stay legal and have all kinds of driving fun.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Maybe I'm already past my midlife crisis but I would not swap for a type-R. Yes it is a bit sportier but you sacrifice a lot of everyday "usability" (5 doors, magic seats etc.) and let's face it, where can one use the full capabilities of a type-R. On a track? But then it's cheaper to rent a Porsche for a day, twice a year or so (and even more fun). I guess a 5-door with a good engine is an acceptable compromise.
That said, you have to know what's most important to you :)

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
I've been there many years ago. I wanted a Mitsubishi Starion.

But logic and my wife's reasoning won in the end. You will encounter so many practical problems.

Finally got it out of my system with a Mini Cooper S Works. Brilliant, but still proved a problem with my better half. Swapped it for my current 1.8 EX i-Shift. Great fun with the paddle shift! ;)

Leave it a few years; your time will come.

·
Registered
78 Posts
to be honest I have a type r gt....and baby on the way.... i also have 19" rages on my car.... my other half is always complaining about how rough the ride is ! oooo er !

but and its a large but... i wont be changeing my car no mater how much she complaing.... I

·
Registered
78 Posts
to be honest I have a type r gt....and baby on the way.... i also have 19" rages on my car.... my other half is always complaining about how rough the ride is ! oooo er !

but and its a large but... i wont be changeing my car no mater how much she is complaing.... I just plan to use her car more for the family....!

the fun factor with the type r... far out ways any negatives....as long as your other half has a car.... then go for it... you wont be disapointed !

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Sell one of the children for experiments, as in Monty Python, (or the wife ;-) ) and put the money made towards the deposit for the R :)

Or go for an S with a remap if you want serious speed, otherwise the 1.8 is potent enough if driven properly.

Tom

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I'd buy the Type R and make your wife the EX :D

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
Trade the wife in ,keep the kids

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
I've been there many years ago. I wanted a Mitsubishi Starion.

But logic and my wife's reasoning won in the end. You will encounter so many practical problems.

Finally got it out of my system with a Mini Cooper S Works. Brilliant, but still proved a problem with my better half. Swapped it for my current 1.8 EX i-Shift. Great fun with the paddle shift! ;)

Leave it a few years; your time will come.
Allan
I was one of the lucky ones to own a Mitsbishi Starion for three years! circa 1985
Never regretted it, but would have if I had let minor considerations, like cost of insurance etc influence the purchase.
It can be seen at My Japanese Cars

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Some quality answers there, many thanks, I think I'm stuck with my 1.8 ex to be honest.
Couldn't afford the CSA if I binned the wife, let alone the Type R!!
As for travelling as a family in her car, she drives a citroen c3, which to be honest, going up hill, I can run faster! Let alone 5 of us going up north for a family visit....would take half a day!!
As said earlier, my time will come, eldest is now nearly 14, hoping he will leave home soon!!!!!:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
There must be one of the kids that you won't miss.
Bring it down here, i'll loose it for you somewhere in the Moor.
Only a kidding of course. ;)
Anyway, is there anything in the highway code about putting it in the boot, even if you have to use the spacesaver net to hold it down. ( sort of seat belt isn't it )

·
Registered
48 Posts
At the risk of being controversial :D

Get the sensible EX and with the money you save get yourself an Mk1 MX5. The MX5 will be a lot more fun a legal speeds than a Type R.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts