2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The idea is that we build a knowledgebase, or FAQ, using the wiki format.

Each common subject (individual known faults, or how-to's, or whatever) can have it's own article. So as we discuss things in various threads, we can go to the wiki article and see the total known status of the fault or whatever.

This will be useful for us, as we can quickly use it as a reference guide rather than have to wade through loads of threads to get an answer. It will also be great for new users, and may cut down on loads of similar threads being started over and over.

So, have a dabble, and make a little contribution. Each article will have a discussion thread (press Discussion in the wiki) where we can argue about what goes in and what doesn't. If the article has spawned from a discussion thread, put a link back to that discussion in the article.

If you've never used a wiki before, here's what happens:

To make a new page (article) just find the page you want to link to it (maybe the main page, maybe another page) and make the link to it using the format [[My New Page]] and save the edit. Then click on the link you've just made and you can edit your new page! But, think carefully about the link text - spell it correctly and choose your words wisely.

You can see that I have put quite a few links on the Main Page but not yet written the articles - this shows how it works. Feel free to write anything in those blank articles. As time goes on we all dive in and edit, until a good solid article appears. We can all then edit it as things change. This will be particularly useful with "known faults" - if someone discovers a fix or a bit of news from a dealer, then bunging it in the wiki and continuing the discussion on the forum would be a good way to distribute the info.

Here's a little cheat sheet on the editing format:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Cheatsheet

Let's see how this goes!

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Good work there Pottsy! I think it is going to work well!

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
That's brilliant! There's some stuff in there that only recently I spent about 20mins searching for.

What's the deal on filling in the pages with other peoples work? As long as they're credited then would it be fine (ie. they don't need to spend the time entering and formatting the content) or does the content entered really need to be your own?

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it's fine to use other people's work. It's just a resume of what many others have found/done. If it's a full guide or how-to, then I think it's useful and polite to do what I've done, which is to start it off with a credit and a link, bit like this:
http://www.civinfo.com/wiki/index.php/Adding_fog_lights

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
I'm loving this project already. Must go and see what I could contribute. :)

·
King of the rodeo
4,831 Posts
I had used pictures other users had taken, made sure the correct people were credited, if anyone wants them removed feel free to edit.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Now I am getting into Wiki too [smilie=grrrrrr.gif] ;-)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts