2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Alabaster civic 08 Type R
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got any ideas how to stop the window steaming up from the heat from the engine. The window is steaming up on the out side from the heat of the engine, I have to put the air con so it doesn’t mist up. Soon as I turn the air con off it mist up again even with the standard blowers on to the window doesn’t get rid off it. Caryn have the air con on all the time surely. Last photo is with the car running no air con and blowers on full.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,811 Posts
Have you got air recirculate on ?

I always run with AC on all the time. Part of what it does is dry the air.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don’t know, but it’s been fine for the last few days, rain and then it starts steaming up. I don’t have the ac on other wise the fan is kicking up every 10secs or so. Surely you don’t have to have the air con on constantly. I thought that was what the main fans are for to clear the windows also. When I just have standard blowers on it does nothing until I hit the air con and bang it disappears, soon as I turn it off it and mists up straight away. It’s strange, I would of thought blowing the window with the cold ac would drop the temp on the window and then the heat from the engine mists the window due to the diff in temps but it’s the opposite.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,811 Posts
I remember a few times accidentally selecting air recirc and that steams up the windows in no time.

You do need to run aircon fairly often or the seals perish prematurely.

·
Premium Member
2008 Civic Type R
863 Posts
Check that your cabin filter is dry/clean?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Humid weather is an annoying one, as if you dare use AC then you need to carry on using it for that journey.

No idea of the science behind it however...

Cabin and pollen filter are the same thing yes. It's an easy 5 min job under the passenger glove box.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Is there any water some where in side the car? Like maybe the boot, etc?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Humid weather is an annoying one, as if you dare use AC then you need to carry on using it for that journey.

No idea of the science behind it however...

Cabin and pollen filter are the same thing yes. It's an easy 5 min job under the passenger glove box.
Yes I have checked that, it’s dry. I was driving around and then did some sprites driving and 5 mins from home it started steaming up, on the outside, it’s like my engine gets crazy hot. I wondering since I have removed the scuttle panel and replaced. Possible seal is not perfect from scuttle to window and the heat from the engine is not being drawn away correctly and passing over the window and the misting on the outside

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there any water some where in side the car? Like maybe the boot, etc?
The misting is on the outside of the window not inside, other day when I was on my way home from Scarborough and was in standing traffic, you could basically see the heat travelling up the window? Like in films when you look in the distant and heat rising and can see it if you know what I mean. I think that’s why it’s misting on the outside from the heat passing over the window from the engine.

·
i-Vtec
4,676 Posts
If its on the outside then the wipers will clear it, but no idea, or ever seen this sort of thing on the outside.

·
Super Moderator
3,665 Posts
just stick A/C on AUTO and set the temp to what you want
that should solve the aircon seals issue and possibly the window too
now I've had it regassed that's what I am doing.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,811 Posts
If that steaming is on the outside then it's nothing that AC will deal with. Never heard of outside misting up before.

·
Super Moderator
3,665 Posts
it suggests that the inside of the screen is colder than the outside so condensing the moisture from the atmosphere.
as K says, very odd.

·
Premium Member
FN3 Stage 1 Crystal Black Pearl
129 Posts
I've found the best thing for the AC is to first set the temp you want, then press AUTO and then just adjust the fan speed up or down as described by @Wilmo above.

On AUTO the car uses the AC all year round, in winter to prevent misting windscreen etc and it never get's it wrong.
If the windscreen started misting I'd hit the auto button and within 10 seconds it's sorted itself out so eventually I found the best thing was to just leave it and I'm glad I did.

Wondering slightly off topic I even think it helped to remove the bad AC smell over time by letting it decide when it's recirculating, when it's pulling air from outside and when AC is on or off.

Car AC started to smell bad, could never shift the smell for long, plus loads of misting in certain weather conditions.
I always noticed the bad smell kick in as soon as I turned the AC off.

I never expected the bad AC smell to completely go away but it has and I'm pretty confident the original cause must have been down to me messing with the controls manually, probably allowing the perfect bacteria growing conditions.

So if anyone wants an AC that smells like it shat itself plus a misting windscreen I can let you know how to dial that in manually 😅

·
Super Moderator
3,665 Posts
I change the pollen filter about twice a year which reduces that pong
Amazing how it starts pure white and after 6 months look like it's been down a coal mine.
Also shove an aircon bomb through it at the same time.
Have found the Holts one effective (and the TripleQX one from ECP which I think is Holts)

·
Super Moderator
2,663 Posts
have you been cleaning the screen with anything different
inside or out
its a strange 1 as you say its on the outside only other thing look under bonnet is there anything going on under there bonnet seal on rear damaged or anything leaking and blowing up even oil vapour

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Looks to be inside the car as you can see wipe marks in the steamed up section which is usually where a cloth has been used to wipe screen.

As suggested, stick it in auto for climate, set your temperature and forget about it. Keeps the interior less damp and I haven't had any issues with misting up.

Also another vote for the Holts air con bomb. Used them for last couple of years and it really takes away bad odours. Bacteria builds up causing the smell.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,811 Posts
Confusing. The picture clearly, to me, shows inside misting but the OP reckons it's outside ?

Normally that indicates some interior damp be it just overnight damp or water ingress somewhere. As posted though that's where the AC comes into its own and dries the cabin very effectively.

Do cars with AC have less ventilation and what air does get in has to come through the filter with windows shut ?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Are we sure it's not leaky boot syndrome? I get the exact same thing!

Maybe run a dehumidifier in the car and grab an AC cleaner from ebay or ECP

1 - 20 of 25 Posts