2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I gently scraped the layer of soft snow off my windscreen this morning, first thing I noticed was this lovely crack on the INSIDE of my windscreen!!!

Where do I stand on this one, is it a warranty claim, insurance claim or what, yes it's cold but in 18 years of owning cars I've never seen a windscreen crack due to the cold weather!

Going to call Honda first I think... advice welcome please :)

34qqjyh.jpg

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
I suppose it will be a difficult proving you only scraped it and didn't pour hot water on it.

Very annoying - you may be covered on your insurance, give them a call, maybe autoglass could fix it!!

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
I wouldn't let autoglass within a mile of my car now! Even hot water should crack the outside I'd say; take it to your stealers and see what they say!

·
您看了
456 Posts
Your car insurance will cover it and replacement via Autoglass. Its a 3 hour job on the Civic, screen special order and takes a day or two to source. I speak from experience. The Autoglass tech came to my home and was already trained to work on my car and new exactly how to change the screen (lots of bits to remove in a certain order). No complaints on the service at all.

The screen will cost you your glass excess but if your insurance company are good it should not affect your NCB at all.

No way is this a warranty issue. I can't beleive you think your dealer will pay to fix this as glass is not covered under the terms of the standard warrenty (if they do post who they are here, I want them to replace my worn out tyres under warrenty). ;)

Windscreens unfortunately chip & break at times. Being laminated the screen will not fail totally so no worries there. And like said previously, you will have a hard time proving you didnt commit the cardinal sin of lazyness by pouring warm water over the ice to clear it (It was -10 in a few areas last night, the core of the glass would have probably still been around this temperature come morning).

Ps. The crack looks to be at the top of the screen, which from what I have been told is the most likely place on the new Civic to get a stone hit. Something to do with the bonnet/screen being virtually the same angle making the top of the screen the most vunerable place.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's not a single mark on the outside whatsoever, everyone is (and I believe them) saying that they've NEVER seen a windscreen crack on the INSIDE like this.

I opened a case with Honda customer relations and gave my reference no. to the dealership - Andrew at Devries is very good and he's never seen such a thing either, photos have been take and they are going to claim from Honda and order parts etc... hopefully all will be sorted asap, although he did say I can expect it to crack more over the next few days, it can crack as much as it wants to now :)

Hopefully another successful resolution by Devries of Stockton - apart from arguments over the Honda courtesy car policy they have been excellent lately. :)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Fedorov, I think you got lucky with the crack being on the inside, definitely a warranty claim IMO. Either caused by stress or faulty glass. Out of interest, have you been getting any noises around the windscreen ?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Sorry it's off thread but I have that exact same noise, not had it looked at yet. Please tell, what was the fix ?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
the fix? for me it was a totally new windscreen.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry it's off thread but I have that exact same noise, not had it looked at yet. Please tell, what was the fix ?
Your dealership should know about the "headlining" issue or something to do with some plastic robot guidance clips left behind in your front pillars - something like that anyway!!! :)

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
I was always told that if the crack is on the INSIDE it's dangerous to drive but if it's on the OUTSIDE it's fine.

I had my 2nd replacement Windscreen fitted by Autoglass on Saturday (2 hour job) and both times have been fine.

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
With a crack like that it's either caused by the screen touching something hard on the body , or a chip before fitment. If the dealer worked that area he may have chipped the glass (just an idea).
You won't know until it's removed, either way not your fault I'd say.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yup, they called and it's booked in for Monday for a few days, Honda want them to strip all the headlining, take photos etc... look for a possible cause. I pointed out that this was the area where it had the headlining noise issue fixed and so has been previously worked on.
Rather than give it back to me still cracked after one day, Andrew wants it for a few days so they can also replace the screen and return it to me all done.

I don't think I heard a definite "getting replaced" but I expect it will be while it's in :)

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
LOL

5 days later...

"thank you for that sir - we've investigated it fully, and we can now indeed confirm that your windscreen is cracked :D"

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
LOL

5 days later...

"thank you for that sir - we've investigated it fully, and we can now indeed confirm that your windscreen is cracked :D"
If you want the windscreen to be replaced, please make an appointment :D

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got it back this morning with new windscreen - just waiting for some good rain showers now to see if there are any leaks ;)

Another well done to Devries for sorting it out, thanks! :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts