2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I've seen a few threads about this, and rather that bringing a thread back to life, I thought it would be more beneficial to me, to open my own.

So, my Civic has 140k on the clock, it's obviously seen some miles. However, it's not 'high mileage', it's just a bit above average really (12k/year).

I'm trying to get this car running and looking better than it was from the factory, so things like this are really annoying me.

I've cleaned the car a few times, but the windscreen is terrible. Probably the worst I've had anyway.

I have a photo attached, and you can see the streaks. I've used normal glass cleaner, and tried very hard to get it off, but it won't come off.

I've also got new wiper blades (Michelin Stealth), which work really well. But they won't/can't shift that grime.

If it's any consolation, my headlights and grille are also showing similar signs of wear. They are very dull, and I've tried toothpaste and finished up using Autosol, which didn't seem to do anything. It removes a layer, but I think I need to spend a few hours on the headlights (I'm replacing the grille for an S-Type one).

But any decent suggestions on this grime removal from the windscreen, other than cracking it, and getting a replacement.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You need a glass polishing paste.

I've seen a few different ones in general auto shops, but never used them myself.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bud.

There's also lots of spots on the glass too, as well as the streaks where the previous blades were going up & down the windscreen.

I'm thinking it's going to be hours and hours worth of polishing.

Update - Just ordered 'Polishing Paste Cerium Oxide' for automotive glass off the bay (together with a black suede gaiter & black integra type R gear knob).

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
theres kits on ebay for this
but remember car windscreens are toughend glass and are very hard
my mate use to be a windscreen chip repair man and had special polisher and its hard long work trying to polish car glass
i have similar issue with my sons seat ibiza at moment and im looking at only options are change windscreen or live with it
as for headlights theres also plastic polish that works ok as said with solvol takes top layer off but buffs up ok
you can also lightly sand the plastic then buff up with a suitable polisher/drill with mop

·
Registered
30 Posts
Try autobrite clear view its on offer at the minute aswell, seemed to work well with mine

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use one by carpro

CeriGlass.

Also wipe down the wipers as if they are contaminated with crap it will just wipe the crap back or replace them if they have not been replaced in a while.
I think this is what I have, but it says to use a head etc, and apply it on, then buff it off.

I have a drill, but no heads for car detailing work. Maybe I will buy one?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought about that, and to be fair, the one I just bought, would be a similar substance.

At least I have options, and I will try to make some progress over the weekend with it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I would certainly be interested how this turns out for you, I think my previous owner must have used a metal ice scraper, plus have scratches left by the movement of the wipers.

·
Cleaning Moderator
12,654 Posts
Scratches can only be removed with Rayon pads & a glass compound using a rotary. Unfortunately, you will not remove them by hand. If it is just water etching then you might be able to remove them by hand.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts