2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found what I assume is another design bug today, unless someone else can see the logic in it...

Today my windscreen washer fluid got low, and now it doesn't spray on the drivers side, only the passenger side. I'm assuming this is because they couldn't be bothered to switch the pipes round (similar to hands free phone mic?) By my logic the drivers side should be the last to fail.

Will have a look later and see if it looks easy to switch round myself since I really doubt that dealer or Honda CS will take any responsibility. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
IMHO if it stops working just refill the reservoir. That's your responsibility not the dealer or Honda CS!! Just like it is to check tyre pressures. Or is that Honda's responsibility too?

Whilst I sympathise with Topcat and Geoff's Civic problems, crikey I would hardly regard this as being "another design bug"...

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
IMHO if it stops working just refill the reservoir. That's your responsibility not the dealer or Honda CS!! Just like it is to check tyre pressures. Or is that Honda's responsibility too?

Whilst I sympathise with Topcat and Geoff's Civic problems, crikey I would hardly regard this as being "another design bug"...
I agree, probably my car stops when I don't fill it up with fuel.. Don't know which wheel will stop first, but it definitely is not a design bug.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While I can certainly see your points jayt43 andhttp://www.civinfo.com/forum/member.php?u=843 Meino I do think that, together with many other minor issues we've uncovered, it shows that there is not the same attention to detail anymore. And unlike the case of running out of fuel, well... thats why we have a huge guage for that one!

It's quite hard to refill your washer fluid when on a dual carriageway, but yes, I could regularly check and fill, or carry a refill bottle at all times. Perhaps this is ok for a car enthusiast, but many people dont check oil/washer/tyres as often as they should and so there are guages, fail lights etc (except for the tyres!).

My point is more that the traditional system of drivers side (or front washer) fails last is simple, cheap, convenient and so fundamental that it's a shame that they couldn't even get it right. A little bit like a phone microphone pointing in the wrong direction!

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
I might be old fashioned, but I've never needed a warning light for any of these things.

A weekly check of oil, tyres, and washer reservoir---- it only takes a few minutes. ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahh, well if they both stop working at the same time for some people then I guess that's the first and final warning! Perhaps I was on a slope or something :)

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Pengin,

I can also see your point, the last that should fail would be the driver side, but I think the more sensors and things, the more potential problems...
Never had a car before which warned me about a too low washer fluid level. Always have had a bottle in the boot (not yet in the civic, only oil...)

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Pengin, I see your point. And certainly, when it comes to the fuel filler release problem, there was definitely a distinct lack of attention to detail!

But I share Elfa's POV really. A few minutes once a week for checking oil, fluid levels and tyres isn't much. At least compared to the amount of hoovering the wife makes me do :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Basic Models

Most Cars have warning lights has anybody checked the book?
As regards checking all levels once a week I have done several trips of a least 500 miles in a day on auto routes and a warning would be nice can't remember driving a vehicle without this feature
Must say I don't have this problem as I check the oil and water before setting off.
I had the oil light come on at 85mph on a French Auto route and they was a bit nerveracking

This is not a moan

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's quite hard to refill your washer fluid when on a dual carriageway, but yes, I could regularly check and fill, or carry a refill bottle at all times. Perhaps this is ok for a car enthusiast, but many people dont check oil/washer/tyres as often as they should and so there are guages, fail lights etc (except for the tyres!).
Penguin,

Its the drivers responsibility to ensure that they perform regular checks of oil, tyre pressures and washer fluids to maintain a safe and roadworthy vehicle. Running out of washer fluid, at this time of year, should not really happen. You should be ensuring that you can see through your windscreen clearly and topping up your fluids each weekend accordingly. You don't have to be a car enthusiast - and its part of the hightway code!

·
Banned
477 Posts
Pengin,

I can also see your point, the last that should fail would be the driver side, but I think the more sensors and things, the more potential problems...
Never had a car before which warned me about a too low washer fluid level. Always have had a bottle in the boot (not yet in the civic, only oil...)
My 1993 Tempra 2.0 had the washer, coolant and engine oil level warning lights that would be on when the levels were low. But in time they lead to complexities and gave false warnings so I had to cancel them and kept on the old and safe way---check myself now and then.
I do not expect those warnings being a must. I always carry a 3-litre water in the boot. You should open the bonnet occasionally to prevent the lock from getting stuck due to not being used!;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Agreed. You'd need something clever like 2 separate pumps fed from different positions in the bottle to get the effect intentionally. In fact we know the pipe will be longer to passenger side because the screenwasher bottle & pump are on the driver's side. (UK version).

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Found what I assume is another design bug today, unless someone else can see the logic in it...

Today my windscreen washer fluid got low, and now it doesn't spray on the drivers side, only the passenger side. I'm assuming this is because they couldn't be bothered to switch the pipes round (similar to hands free phone mic?) By my logic the drivers side should be the last to fail.

Will have a look later and see if it looks easy to switch round myself since I really doubt that dealer or Honda CS will take any responsibility. Any thoughts?
erm yes why complain, my £45k Jaguar is exactly the same, at least you know its getting low and can fill it up . Love the wiper design and action as well!

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
On my SEAT I have a warning when fluid is low - nice to have but not essential. Lets me know when is a good time to fuel and water :)

The problem I have found with the Civic is when it does run out - quite easy even if checked before departing due to the long journeys some of us do - a refill doesn't get the system working again. I have struggled for days with a full tank and been unable to get the washer to squirt.

Assumption:
The pumps may be too high and not primed which is obviously a basic design fault and would be unacceptable.

·
Banned
477 Posts
Assumption:
The pumps may be too high and not primed which is obviously a basic design fault and would be unacceptable.
If that is so, I also consider it as a principal design engineering mistake. So how did you manage to squirt from the nozzles eventually? Took it to the service? Or did persistent switchings win?

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
Mouth to mouth - NO!

In the end it just took it's sweet time and eventually my persistence paid off.

With hindsight I could have tried blowing into the reservoir/water bottle to try and force water into the pump.

(I also made sure the nozzles were clear - they were.)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts