2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Has anyone else had the problem of their windscreen washers not working? This is now the 3rd time that this has happened. Took it back to the dealer on the previous 2 occasions and they said that it was the filter that needed cleaning. Surely a design problem as I have never had this problem before with any other car. Does anyone know how to access the filter to save me taking it back to the dealers again?

Thanks

alloallo.

·
Administrator
21,239 Posts
Perhaps you need to pre-filter the water you are putting in ?

Obviously some muck is getting in there.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Hi,

Has anyone else had the problem of their windscreen washers not working? This is now the 3rd time that this has happened. Took it back to the dealer on the previous 2 occasions and they said that it was the filter that needed cleaning. Surely a design problem as I have never had this problem before with any other car. Does anyone know how to access the filter to save me taking it back to the dealers again?

Thanks

alloallo.
What are you filling in? Most ready-made liquids are [email protected] so I'm filling in only water (regular tap water not filtered) with 1 teaspoonful (about 4-5 ml) of "Pril" dishwashing liquid per 4 litres, not one problem in 10 years.
In winter, mixed with alcohol, obviously - I only fill in the ready-made stuff when I have to which is perhaps once a year

edit: and it's important to close the cap tightly after filling. Also, if you are using the (summer) liquid very sparingly, algae could grow on the filter - and then you know what happens

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I have managed to unblock it again. It first happened after my 1st service. I accused the dealer of having charged me to fill it up and not having done it. Now I know that this is not the case. Water is always clean so don't know why it is doing this. Today I just unclipped the 2 sections of pipe, gave a quick blow and now all sorted again.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Never had it with my Honda but it happened 3 or 4 times with my previous Volvo V70. To get at the filter and to replace the pump (which had to be done twice) they had to remove the front bumper and a headlight. Now that's bad design! Just glad Volvo were paying.

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
I wonder then why mine isn't... I think (as written previously) that it might be algae build up if the liquid stays in the tank unused for a long time :?:

I wouldn't think algae could survive with the ethanol additive. Assuming you are using additive. :confused:

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
I wouldn't think algae could survive with the ethanol additive. Assuming you are using additive. :confused:
If they can survive in diesel they can probably survive in washer fluid also, and I'm using just water and "Pril" - but I use up 1 fill in 2 weeks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Does anyone know how to get at the washer bottle filter? Mine is not blocked but when I use the washer there is a disgusting smell seems like something has died in there !!

·
Registered
21 Posts
hi
my washers have started to play up as well.. the pump is fine and the pipe work is ok
does anybody know where the filter is on the washer pump so i can try clean it out...

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
hi
my washers have started to play up as well.. the pump is fine and the pipe work is ok
does anybody know where the filter is on the washer pump so i can try clean it out...
Is it frozen?

Do you have anti-freeze?

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
I'm told by my dealer that the washer bottle filter is under the wing somewhere.
Correct.

It is the big white thing you can see in this pic.

·
Registered
21 Posts
thanks but that looks a bit of a extreme way to get to the washer bottle[smilie=cheeky-grin:[smilie=cheeky-grin:

it started when the washers ran out of water so the water in now isnt frozen the jets squirt a bit out but only at the start then stop.

i also had a problem with the fluid smelling like a old pond so maybe its a build up gunk in the pump that why i want to check there..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thats exactly what happened to mine, fortunately for me just before the service was due. When I enquired what they had done to fix the problem I was told that the mechanic had cleaned the filter that was located sommewhere under the wing. Unfortunately I never saw him them doing this. I have had a look since but must admit that I couldn't find it myself. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 183 Posts