2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have just purchased a 1.8L petrol 2009 SE i-vetec privately.
I am really pleased with it except for the windscreen wiper which does not throw any water onto the windscreen except for a tiny dribble.
If possible I would like to fix this myself as fairly cash strapped at the moment.
Is this due to a blockage or has the motor gone?
I don't have a Haynes or a workshop manual yet so have limited material to look through.
But I would be really grateful if someone could offer any insight on the matter

Thank you,
Misi

·
Administrator
17,941 Posts
Wiper fluid is delivered via fixed jets rather than the wiper arms.

Can you hear the motor running? Of not, then check the fuse.

Or maybe the filter at the bottom of the reservoir is gummed up? To clear and test for blockages, pop the hose off under the bonnet and blow back to the can.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Farqui,

Thanks for the mail. I will check the motor.
Could you advise how to blow back?
Is there an easy way to access this filter, I can imagine it being fairly tricky?

·
Administrator
17,941 Posts
Hi Farqui,

Thanks for the mail. I will check the motor.
Could you advise how to blow back?
Is there an easy way to access this filter, I can imagine it being fairly tricky?
Sure, have a read of this and the listed thread in post#4.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

·
Administrator
17,941 Posts

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Wiper fluid is delivered via fixed jets rather than the wiper arms.

Can you hear the motor running? Of not, then check the fuse.

Or maybe the filter at the bottom of the reservoir is gummed up? To clear and test for blockages, pop the hose off under the bonnet and blow back to the can.
I'm going to give this a try on our Derv later, good advice Farqu!

Rich

·
Administrator
17,941 Posts
You got trouble too Rich?

My passenger jet output is reducing but it still works, I guess I should take a look at why sometime...

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello Farqui,
Quick update, got somewhere but not solved the problem yet ;)
The motor is working fine. Disconnected the hose and fired the washers and there was only a small trickle so I know there isn't a blockage in the actual jets but further upstream (probably the filter you mentioned in your earlier post). Got the car up, wheel off. Got all the grommets off the wheel arch but got stuck on 3 philips screws that were really jammed on. Had a couple of goes but they wouldn't budge. And called it a day there as I ran out of time.
Any ideas how best to dislodge those screws?
Misi

·
Administrator
17,941 Posts
Sounds like you bad a good bash, well done.

Try blowing down the pipe toward the reservoir, it may dislodge the gunk.

Make sure the tank is topped up too, letting it get low may hasten a blockage.

Some have found a couple of kettles of hot water cleared their issue. Maybe worth a try?

·
Administrator
17,941 Posts
I tried blowing down the pipe last week and it worked a treat!

Rich
:cool: a nice easy fix.

Tho it may only be temporary.

Does anyone know of a cleaning solution that can be added to the reservoir?

·
Administrator
17,941 Posts
True, the filter is about £3, the pump about £35 from Lings tho I dare say you can get them cheaper elsewhere.

The headlamp washer pump is an eye watering £156+VAT tho! #gulp

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:cool: a nice easy fix.

Tho it may only be temporary.

Does anyone know of a cleaning solution that can be added to the reservoir?
Hi Farqui,
I tried the blow back&boiling water from kettle but to no avail, I think my filer must be completely clogged up
I considerered something like Cillit Bang or Mr Muscle but both these are highly caustic (basic) or corrosive (acidic) and I was a bit worried that I might create another problem. Especially around the bonnet area there is lots of metal susceptible to these reagents and also level (horizontal) metal parts where these solutions could pool and gradually with time eat up the metal.
So I am going to have a go at accessing the pump and its filter another time. First time I tried to take off all the mudguard from the wheel but after some research I think I could take off just the area around the front where the pump is located.
Will give this a go next weekend.

·
Registered
24 Posts
mine are playing up, working fine until December. Overfilled the tank by accident using a Tesco machine but since then have had measly dribbles.

Disconnected the hose, pump is fine, then reconnected, disconnected, blew back down, seems to have gotten worse.

My next step is to disconnect and empty to around 1/4 and then fill with the white vinegar/hot water method to see if that works.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Windscreen washers

Hi, fixed :) Windscreen washers working well. The filter was blocked with what I think must have been some paper which had broken down to a sticky gummy substances that had wrapped itself around the filter.
I'll share with you my experiences
1) Jack the car up&take the wheel off. The civic is quite low profile so initially I found it tricky spotting a good jack point. First time round, I used a scissor jack to lift the car, then spotted a good jack point on the subframe on a nut/bolt then placed the hydraulic jack and replaced the scissor jack with a jack stand. Second time round I went straight it with a hydraulic jack
2) Remove clips (I used a flat head screw driver) & screws on the plastic wheel arch mud guard. The plastic wheel trim is intertwined with other plastic parts. So even when all the clips&screws are removed it still holds firmly. You have to push&pull at various parts. This I found the hardest part of the job, removing and replacing took me around 2 hours. I did break (see photos) a plastic component part as I pulled down instead of pushing inwards, but it is no big deal as it is so firmly secured.
3) Remove the pump. I spent a bit of time looking at the pump, trying to locate the filter. The filter is not part of the pump, the filter is part of the grommet that sits in the washer fluid tank.
4) Clean the filter with a toothbrush until it returns to its original white colour & I also rinsed the washer tank with tap water.
PS Photos except for windscreen are not mine but taken from CivicInfo website.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts