2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't come across wipers like these on a car before. Do you reckon the wipers are unique to this car? I wonder if they will be a dealer only purchase and how much they will cost?

Anyone any idea?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
587 Posts
I think you may well be right there my man - defo Honda only......

Anyone happen to know the price of replacements for these yet?? :(

Break it to us gently.......
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
785 Posts
Not sure either, my kids love them ;)

I've only used the wipers on AUTO since I got the car, works great!
 

·
Explosive Mind Unleashed
Joined
·
549 Posts
Big funny floppy things those wipers, yes vey unusual. As for price prob £20 a pair?!?!? (at least it's only 2 ;) ), guess we gonna find out later :D
 

·
Galaxy class starship
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
They are supposed to be quieter. Any idea whether they last longer than normal ones?
 

·
Explosive Mind Unleashed
Joined
·
549 Posts
Copycat said:
They are supposed to be quieter. Any idea whether they last longer than normal ones?
Yeah very quite so far but they are new, I would probably change annually myself unless they are 50 quid a set.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,492 Posts
I had to replace mine on the Golf after a year, just like normal wipers (though I appreciate that many people don't change their wipers yearly and put up with smears and squeaks). Can't skimp on wipers nor tyres!
 

·
Explosive Mind Unleashed
Joined
·
549 Posts
Pottsy said:
I had to replace mine on the Golf after a year, just like normal wipers (though I appreciate that many people don't change their wipers yearly and put up with smears and squeaks). Can't skimp on wipers nor tyres!
Totally agree on that point :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,492 Posts
It's amazing how some people do though - my gf bought a Yaris (the "Y" - because I had a "Z" at the time) and it came with an assortment of cheap radials on it. It slithered all over the place in the wet (it really was a struggle to keep it on the road) and it was as noisy as hell. 4 Michelin E3A's later and it was as quiet as a Lexus and cornered like an Elise*.


* well, almost
 

·
Galaxy class starship
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
I've always replaced wipers on my car twice a year. Freezing temperatures make them wear out quicker, I think. They freeze so that they're stuck on the windscreen. Have to either knock them loose or just pull them off. Not very gentle... :roll:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's amazing how some people do though
You're not kidding? Walking through our works car park, it's amazing how many dodgy tyres and frayed wiper blades can be spotted.

Lad that works with me was on the phone for one front tyre the other day. Reckons the other still has 5,000miles left. Me, I'd have had them both changed
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,004 Posts
Hartside said:
It's amazing how some people do though
You're not kidding? Walking through our works car park, it's amazing how many dodgy tyres and frayed wiper blades can be spotted.

Lad that works with me was on the phone for one front tyre the other day. Reckons the other still has 5,000miles left. Me, I'd have had them both changed

Always replace in pairs or fours....... [smilie=fixtit.gif]
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,712 Posts
According to the handbook, you can re-place the rubber in the blade.

It sounds complicated, but I'm sure it'll be easier to actually do.
.
:shock: :shock:
 

·
Galaxy class starship
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
elfa7 said:
According to the handbook, you can re-place the rubber in the blade.

It sounds complicated, but I'm sure it'll be easier to actually do.
.
:shock: :shock:
Are these replacement rubbery bits sold only by Honda dealers?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,712 Posts
Has anyone tried replacing the rubbers on their wipers yet. Any probs ?.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,712 Posts
allan, thanks for that, I had read the thread. But its says in the handbook that you can replace the rubbers. I think I'll go the easy route and change the blades via your helpful website. ;)
 

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
Joined
·
627 Posts
The blade carrier is NOT a consumable

Replacing the whole blade, just as on the old type of wipers is always going to be dearer. My SEAT (VAG) also has similar blades and I havent needed to replace them in nearly 70,000 miles of enthusiastic driving. They still work as good as new but I may have had them replaced under warranty at some point :oops:.

Close inspection of both the Civic and SEAT blades shows they appear to have a similar insert as used in the older type of blade carrier. The only issue will be (as in the past) of finding the compatible insert. Main dealers never used to sell them but if they do they probably won't be cheap.

After many years I still have inserts in my garage that never fitted the car they were bought for!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,712 Posts
Thanks Miggins. I'll ask the Dealer very nicely if he'll give me a new blade for the drivers side (why does that one streak first ?). I think the result will be negative. ;)
I'll post off for one.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top