2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, wonder if anyone can shed some light on this. Just tried moving my offside mirror and it will only snap into place either folded forward or back, not in the central location where usable when driving.

Any help would be great thanks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I’m afraid I have some bad info for you.
The problem (and mine also) is that a tab inside the ABS rotating house has been broken off.
That tab takes care for the proper position.
I’m 100% certain the SOD works fine. I’ve connected both SOD’sand the other mirror works flawless.
I took some inside pictures of both mirrors so you can see the issue which can’t be fixed because its Die Cast metal.

Foto Preview

Foto Preview

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry for the bump but i wonder if you managed to fix this without changing the whole mirror? Seems like we share the same issue. I have no idea how this happened tho..

·
Registered
140 Posts
I didn't manage to fix it because the issue is made of Die Cast iron.
Therefore it can't be welded. Even bonding with 2K won't help either, the electric motor which pivot the darn thing is way too strong for any kind of bonding.
What i did :turn ignition switch on, pressed the mirror button and as soon as the mirror was in position, I'd turned the ignition switch off and then disconnected the SOD.
(I did hit a garagedoor with the right mirror at a speed of 25km)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply! Well, this sucks. I can only guess what an authentic Honda mirror will cost. I haven't hit anything so maybe someone has kicked it or something :(
Do you know if it can be welded together maybe?
Is it hard to access the SOD ?

Edit: Saw that you wrote that it couldn't be welded. Why can't it be welded? I know nothing about welding tho..

·
Registered
140 Posts
The SOD device is inside of the miror housing. there are threads on this forum with howto's and pictures to get access to the SOD.

Cast iron can't be weld because the welding arc temperature is too high.
The cast iron will melt and even get brittle, so after all you make it much more worse.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didn't manage to sort the problem, does anyone know how much a new unit will cost?

Maybe could get one from a breakers yard

·
Registered
3 Posts
I called two honda workshops and they wanted about 215 £ just for the mirror and about 255 £ for the mirror and installation. Don't know what I'll do yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi!nice to meet civicinfo and all people . i am from spain and say hello everybody . First,sorry if don´t write very well but i m spanish.
i have the same problem but mi mirror is not damage cast iron . it's true!but i can't repair . i make a video for see.
if anybody help me i am very thankful .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts