2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else noticed a huge drop in mpg in the last couple of weeks. Ive never had a car that responds so poor to cold weather. I was getting 28-29 on my commute but now I'm seeing 22mpg, that doesn't really include any blasts!

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
I've always replied that I believe it's due to the underfloor long flat thin fuel tank being exposed to the elements.

The winter mpg hit has been posted about almost yearly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
yes, usually get 24-25, but now only getting 21 and not even hitting vtec, thought was due to heavier traffic because of the bad weather. :frown2:

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,277 Posts
Yes... down a good 4-5mpg but I put it down to having to leave it an extra 5mins each morning and evening to warm up.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Is it an actual mpg change (miles per tank) or just a reported change by the trip computer? Might be the electronics/sensors affected by the cold? Ours is always 24-26, my wife seems to drive it bouncing off the limiter (it's her car)

·
4,277 Posts
More likely the fact that it takes longer to warm up so is dumping more air and fuel in to warm up. Fluids are colder creating more friction to overcome before warming up. Tyre pressures take longer to get warm and "optimal", more likely to have heater / heated seats on etc etc

All adds up

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
i went on a long run up to cold scotland (-5 mid morning) yesterday and i noticed my mpg wasa bit lower than usual on a run i was average of 59.7 oh sorry mines a 2.2 ctdi
good look to you guys with type r's hopefully my days of poor fuel economy are in the past
or weekend cars in my older life if i come into money
in the sumer when it was realy hot i went on a airport run and the heater blower had failed so very warm in car but mpg was 67mpg ive read diesels realy come into there own above 18 degress for economy and maybe that run backs the theory up

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Hi just done run in my type r from Bognor to Manchester about 250 miles avg speed 65 including a couple of blasts to over 100 and with two 12 stone adults a full boot and a full tank of vmax averaged out at 35mpg so not unhappy. 55+ mpg in a derv or modern hybrid would be lovely but vtec noise and really nice handling is hard to give up.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
More likely the fact that it takes longer to warm up so is dumping more air and fuel in to warm up. Fluids are colder creating more friction to overcome before warming up. Tyre pressures take longer to get warm and "optimal", more likely to have heater / heated seats on etc etc

All adds up
What musegroove said.

It's normal MPG drops in winter, particularly when you do a lot of city driving or short distances.

·
Registered
11 Posts
only got my 07 dcti just over a month ago just filled it up for the second time worked out 38 mpg not a happy bunny was expecting a bit more than that,noticed that the avg on the dash was 41+ now down to 38 doing the same drive every day only in town,on a ride down to dorset this weekend hopefuly will be a lot better

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
even on the work run which is short runs 3/4 gear and about 2 mile in total i can average about 48 mpg at worst from my 2.2

·
4,277 Posts
Never got less than 45 in my stage 1 mapped 2.2 either with 90% town driving.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
On a 6 mile journey each way to work through town, but free flowing traffic, my indicated average mpg could drop to 31 mpg during winter. Same car would give 55mpg on the motorway ( diesel type s )

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys had my fn2 around 2/3 months. Noticed a 5mog drop recently, being realistic I've not had over 30.

I put it down to testing the vtech. :laugh2:

·
4,277 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts