2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so new CTR owner, what are they like in the snow?
I'm wondering if its worth getting my standard alloys fitted with snow tyres and then in the summer swapping to another set of wheels (fancy some rotas!)
Last car was a BMW and I fitted a spare set of alloys with snow tyres each year around December time. When the snow and ice hit it was like having a 4WD !
However the Honda obviously FWD so in theory should be better...

About £400 for a set of Pirelli Sottozero winter tyres fitted.
Sell the tyres that come off the car...
?
Anyone do a similar thing?
PS here is a picture of the car, just after I bought it. Its totally standard- first picture on here!

·
Premium Member
2008 Civic Type R
775 Posts
Absolutely worth it. FWD cars tend to have better traction due to the weight over the driven wheels. Summer tyres are still pants in the cold and/or snow & ice, if you've used them before I'd say get some winters on again.

With regards to how they handle the snow, the tyres are pretty wide so snow driving can be tricky. When climbing any inclines turn off VSA as the electronics will bring you to a halt if the rear starts sliding around. Do the same if you're struggling to get going again after being stationary too.

You also make a good case sticking winters on your alloys and getting a new set for summer :)

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Are there any deals around for decent deals for winter tyres at the moment?
I'm looking to get a set of 17" tyres to stick on my Type S winter wheels.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have a set of new spike-free winter tyres that i am going to fit this weekend (can't remember the brand just now).

Are you talking about tyres with or wothout spikes? :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
or just get a pair of snow socks for the front tyres so if you do get caught out by snow you can still drive.

They are brilliant I had a pair on the front of the wife's FR-V and towed my mate in his BMW up hill through around 6 inches of snow back to his house.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
mine (although not a type R) was absolutely pants in the snow last year on summer tyres (225/45/17 F1s and Yoko C-Drives) so if you don't have something else that you can rely on (I do - a 4x4 Octavia with decent tread pattern tyres) then winters IMHO are a must have - it's all about tread pattern and compound.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
I was more talking about tyres without spikes. Mainly for the wet and icy conditions over winter. To be fair we rarely get snow here in the UK where I live, so I'd probably gear my winter wheels for wet weather more so than snow.

·
regrets his username
7,982 Posts
Camskill are cheap, & also national tyres have a BOGOF offer on certain tyres not sure what though
I read a quote from some site that the Swedish have a saying "winter tyres 1st, 4x4 2nd"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts