2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of winter tyres did you get? Friction or normal? Which tyres?

Didnt get winter tyres with the car, going to get them from a local dealer and was wondering should i get friction or normal tyres :?: I drove the civic last winter which had friction tyres and the car felt like it was flying... Might just be from the fact that i havent driven on friction tyres before :)

Also the tail is very easy to get in a backslip, VSA-takes control very quickly though..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Studded tyres are superior on ice and hard-packed snow. The drawbacks are higher noiselevel and worse handling on asfalt.

Living in the southern part of Sweden where we haven't got snow all that often during the winter time, I'm going to buy (premium brand) friction tyres.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
And I bet most UK drivers have no idea that the tyres they use all year round are summer tyres, which is why chaos reigns as soon as it snows...

·
Registered
214 Posts
pikkumies, I think you should go for normal winter tyres, they are a lot safer for our terribly long Finnish winters. In icy and snowy road conditions you're easily in big trouble with friction tyres. On salted ice free roads friction tyres work fine though.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aye, i agree. I didnt like driving with the friction tires last winter. I also have to drive a lot in my work so im definently going for the studded winter tyres. Any recommendations on the mark?

·
Registered
29 Posts
pikkumies said:
Aye, i agree. I didnt like driving with the friction tires last winter. I also have to drive a lot in my work so im definently going for the studded winter tyres. Any recommendations on the mark?
Nokian Hakkapeliitta would be a good choice I think. Gislaved NordFrost is not bad either.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport, they any good for winter?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I got my baby last February with 16" Nokia Hkpl 4 tyres which are very good cause they are not too noisy.
I know cause I tested them before I decided to buy with my dealer's demo car, both with friction and odinary winter tyres :wink:

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
This is the problem, when you decide to live in a freezer for half the year. :lol:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have european friction winter tyres in 225x45x17 size , they are almost cheapest ones which I found from germany internet shops, so first thing when these tyres needed to be installed under my car, I have to test drive them in somewhere safe place, to decide will I buy another set of normal winter tyres in smaller size or is it safe to keep those which i now have..

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got the sommer tyres (Michelin Pilot Premacy 225/45-17) here, and was considering buying Goodyear UG 7 195/65-15 wintertyres in a couple of months.

/B.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
richierich said:
Michelin Pilot Sport, they any good for winter?
They are summer tyres, and here in the UK, we use them all year round. With the weather we get (rarely snowy or particulary icy) they should be fine, but the grip will be poor. Winter tyres are generally not used here, so I wouldn't worry.

In Finland, 'summer' tyres would be deangerous to use in winter due to the weather there.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
I once had a really hairy trip to work in the Laguna on standard tyres, the road was covered with frost/ice and the car was actually sliding down the camber of the road (it was severely cambered) I felt like I was crabbing down the road, travelling in a straight line with the rear end in the kerb and the nose pointing toward the centre, turning ever so slightly left. The wife drove the same trip in her AX and had no problems, thinner tyres, more pressure on the road, I suppose the Laguna was in snow shows, spreading its load and sliding.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I had the same problam with the Laguna. All the traction control built in and still no grip in snow. And the Civic will probably be worse. It's a lighter car, with the same size tyres

·
Registered
226 Posts
in snowy conditions it is sometimes sensible to switch traction control off, as it allows the wheels to spin and dig through the snow. Moving off isn't the major problem though. Its the stopping that stings

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
Traction control on and with winter tyres, handling can be pretty good.

P.S. Guess why the roads here require a new coating of asphalt almost every year?

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Copycat, are you enjoying your Civic, after the long wait ? 8)

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
elfa7 said:
Copycat, are you enjoying your Civic, after the long wait ? 8)
I have and would be if it weren't back at the dealers today to have the rear window checked. Had a bit of water coming in from somewhere back there. :roll:

1 - 20 of 273 Posts