2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
more torque than the mrs
6,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today decided to tackle my drivers side wiper arm corrosion ,I've been putting it off for months so with the sun out I cracked on, was some pretty bad bubbling going on but sanded down ok.. first pic shows the amount of corrosion I had to take off ,once happy with the sanding down I applied some etch primer then 3 coats of high build primer then 2 coats of satin black. turned out ok..

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd be interested to know what etch primer / primer / paint you used specifically. Did you have to bake the etch primer in?

·
more torque than the mrs
6,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd be interested to know what etch primer / primer / paint you used specifically. Did you have to bake the etch primer in?
halfords etch primer and high build primer I used,then find your nearest pound shop for the black satin spray, I use an hairdryer an old trick of mine I used to do when i was fixing car bodywork years back :)each layer you put on just give it a blast for a couple of minutes cures quicker another tip with rattle cans put them in hot water for 30 seconds before use helps to stop clogging plus it helps the paint go on a lot nicer..

·
Registered
88 Posts
Me too ...

Any suggestions on the products - primer and paint .. ?
Hey iceman, I've been a car paints rep. For just over 7 years, and I recommend (if you can) to use 2k paints - which basically means you have your paint, then add your activator/hardener.
The reason is, most of the paints that come out of an aerosol, is '1k' and open to oxidation, which will eventually make it fade or even come off if you spill certain chemicals on it..

I use U-POL etch primer and high build primer from aerosol, but then use a 2k generic black paint to protect everything.
I have a habit of painting things black, so I always have a litre of black paint, and a tin of activator for those occasions.

Just a note - if you use 2k paints, it usually does take about 6-8 hours of drying time. But it will last forever.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mines going too.
Just priced a new one up and is almost 90 quid.
How the Fk can that be right.
Or have I checked wrongly

1 - 20 of 24 Posts