2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver's side wiper has broken!! Something in the wiper linkage seems to have exploded and the wiper is completely loose. (And, no, it is not the nut that keeps the wiper arm in place, that one is really tight. It is loose below it.)

Does anyone have an exploded image of the wiper linkage I can use to explain what is loose and not when I call a dealer tomorrow?

The mechanical breakdown I can live with. It should be sorted under warranty without any questions asked, but what about the damage to the paint it did in the process?

Pretty gutted...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Make sure they do a good touch up job of the paint too!

I think you need to show them the car, rather than just calling...
Is it a long trip to your dealer?

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will need to take a day off to get it fixed as I have about 70 km to the nearest dealer. Small problem since I have plenty of overtime.

But the roads are dirty and never dry so it will be hell getting there. I think will have to take smaller roads to get there making it a bit longer. I'll call them tomorrow and mail the the pictures, and ask how long it will take to get it fixed. At least so they understand which parts could be broken.

It still would be good with one of those exploded part diagrams if anyone has access to it...

·
Registered
136 Posts
My wiper looked exactly the same when i had it fighting with the automated carwash. The part that is broken, is a sort of a small metal tripod that's underneath the plastic. It's fixed to the car with 3 bolts.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turned it over to a dealer this morning, and they said it should be ready sometime after lunch. Got a free courtesy car (civic 1.8 Sport) which was nice. Have had quite a few things to do so I really needed the car.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Apparently the wiper arm below was broken in 3 (!) places. They said they had never seen it before and wondered if it had been tampered with. Obviously, as I treat my car as one of my children, I did not use any violence on it, and it was replaced under warranty.

There was no visual damage when I drove off before it exploded, but honestly I usually don't check the car for malicious damage when I am about to drive somewhere.

Also got quoted cost for fitting my lowering springs complete with 4-wheel alignment, and it was a fair cost. I'll be doing that when it is time for service in April.

Here's a pic of the courtesy car:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
that's just to show MR owners what colour it is underneath :wink:

bet they wished they'd put front parking sensors on it though... :D

Orschild - glad you got it replaced ok :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts