2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a bit of an intermittent wiper issue, noticed a month or so ago that occasionally on cold mornings the wipers would not stop at the bottom, they'd come up about 20% of the screen. This happens on intermittent and when you push the stalk up to wipe.
It doesn't happen all the time but seemingly more when its cold.
Also, every so often, when you hit the wipe function, the wiper goes for 4 wipes instead of 1.

I assume there's some module at fault?

Its an 07 ES with auto wipers

·
Registered
613 Posts
Yep, +1 for wiper motor. It's not on its way out, it's just gunked up. You can take it out, give it a good clean and it'll work just grand after that; mine did the same thing and that was three years ago now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, will have a look at it. Is the motor any way accessible?

When you say gunked up, you mean like the brushes etc or externally

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Should the black covers that sit under the wiper arns be flush with the windscreen or clipped in, think maybe water is getting through the gap in mine and playing havoc with my motor

·
Registered
51 Posts
so mine has developed this issue in the last few days but i dont see how cleaning the grease from the geard etc will fix this issue, isnt this supposed to be there to stop it being plastic on plastic? or am i missing something here? i When people said about cleaning it out i thought they meant the mult plug?

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Mine did this last winter left it and once the weather warmed up the problem went away, now that's temperatures are dropping I'm sure it will happen again

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
The car i pickd up yesterday has this fault ( its the only thing i can find wrong with the whole car ) you switch the wipers off they continue running for at least 6 sweeps before most times parking in the wrong place.

I have however had a similar issue on another car where cleaning the connections didnt work.

Is the cover that goes over the motor gears glued or sealed in place ?

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Ok guys i have done and fixed this today.
The guide for removing the wiper mech on here is good, follow it and you cant really go wrong.

I would add to this before you remove the mech put masking tape under each wiper blade so you know where they should park when you put them back on.

When i removed the motor cover there was lots of clean grease on the cogs and a fair bit in the cover where the "pink disk" is. You need to leave the grease on the main part of the motor where it is as it lubricates the bit that does all the work - what you need to get rid of is the grease that has worked its way up to inside the black plastic cover and onto the electrical connections.

I cleaned and scraped out all i could and then set about it with the electrical contact cleaner.
You need to use copious amounts as i did this without removing the pink disk, and keep turning the disk and wiping the grease away as it comes out.

Now the only bit i dont think ive seen mentioned on here is that when you reassemble everything the pink disk will have moved meaning that your mech may be out of sync.

In order to avoid any problems AND to check whether the clean has worked when you put the mech back in and BEFORE you refit the arms turn ignition on and do a single sweep of the screen - this will resettle the spindles to the parked position and will also tell you if your fix has worked - which on mine it did!

Then reassemble the rest of it.

Took me about an hour start to finish. You need a 10mm socket and extensions, a 17mm socket, some masking tape, aerosol electrical contact cleaner and something small to scrape the grease out of the cover with.

I was impressed with how straightforward this was to do.

·
Administrator
17,942 Posts
Ok guys i have done and fixed this today.
The guide for removing the wiper mech on here is good, follow it and you cant really go wrong.

I would add to this before you remove the mech put masking tape under each wiper blade so you know where they should park when you put them back on.

When i removed the motor cover there was lots of clean grease on the cogs and a fair bit in the cover where the "pink disk" is. You need to leave the grease on the main part of the motor where it is as it lubricates the bit that does all the work - what you need to get rid of is the grease that has worked its way up to inside the black plastic cover and onto the electrical connections.

I cleaned and scraped out all i could and then set about it with the electrical contact cleaner.
You need to use copious amounts as i did this without removing the pink disk, and keep turning the disk and wiping the grease away as it comes out.

Now the only bit i dont think ive seen mentioned on here is that when you reassemble everything the pink disk will have moved meaning that your mech may be out of sync.

In order to avoid any problems AND to check whether the clean has worked when you put the mech back in and BEFORE you refit the arms turn ignition on and do a single sweep of the screen - this will resettle the spindles to the parked position and will also tell you if your fix has worked - which on mine it did!

Then reassemble the rest of it.

Took me about an hour start to finish. You need a 10mm socket and extensions, a 17mm socket, some masking tape, aerosol electrical contact cleaner and something small to scrape the grease out of the cover with.

I was impressed with how straightforward this was to do.
Well done

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same wiper problem with my Civic from 2007 1.4 and as I am not an expert I'd like to ask for more photo's of the parts that need to be cleaned and where they are situated under the hood. Can someone make some pictures under the hood and tell me which parts are the ones I need.

Second, there should be a "The guide for removing the wiper mech on here is good" but I cannot find it, not in the wiki, can someone give me a link to this?

P.S. I am from the Netherlands and although my English is not bad, it is still difficult to read all the technical english listed on this site (sometimes google translate helps but most times it makes silly sentences)

·
Administrator
17,942 Posts
I have the same wiper problem with my Civic from 2007 1.4 and as I am not an expert I'd like to ask for more photo's of the parts that need to be cleaned and where they are situated under the hood. Can someone make some pictures under the hood and tell me which parts are the ones I need.

Second, there should be a "The guide for removing the wiper mech on here is good" but I cannot find it, not in the wiki, can someone give me a link to this?

P.S. I am from the Netherlands and although my English is not bad, it is still difficult to read all the technical english listed on this site (sometimes google translate helps but most times it makes silly sentences)
There's a link in the 2nd post, here is the full thread link; http://www.civinfo.com/forum/electronics/47574-window-wiper-problem.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts