2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

My wipers have recently started flicking up after a single cycle. When I toggle the wipers, instead of resting at the bottom of the screen, the drivers side one is noticeable in my line of vision when I am sure that it shouldn't be.

Has anyone else had any issues like this?

All help is appreciated

·
Registered
613 Posts
Does it just randomly stop in different places around the windscreen or not stop for ages? If so, your wiper motor is gunked up with grease. £300 will get you a new one fitted from Honda but if you're mechanically inclined you can clean it yourself in about an hour and a bit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wipers stop in the same place each time, just the wrong place. When they do a single cycle, they return to the bottom of the screen but they flick up slightly which with my height and seating position is quite noticeable. If the motor is easy to get to and remove, I would probably look at it myself as I don't have a spare £300 ;)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Not too bad. Take off the black plastic that the windscreen washers are attached to (this is held on with clips) then remove the silver tray (I think five bolts), take the wipers off and the whole wiper mechanism is held on with a few big bolts. On the diesel I removed the fuel primer housing and it was still a tight fit over the power steering reservoir.

Just make sure to put tape on where your wipers are before you take them off.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks :). I will give it a shot this weekend and update when 1 of 3 things has happened:

1. I have repaired it and all went well
2. I have cleaned the motor, tightened all the nuts and it still persists or
3. I get frustrated with it and things get broken ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Out of interest, what did you do to fix it? I had the same trouble with mine, I got to the motor, cleaned up the terminals on top and that was about it. This seemed to work for a bit but it's started again. I'm still thinking it's the wiper motor cover plate thats at fault as I found a U.S service bulletin (from civinfo) on it. This part is available in the U.S not in the U.K. is there another fix???

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, seems better than it was. Just followed Zcotts guide, gave the motor a good clean and made sure everything was tight. Sooner or later I'm sure I will need to replace it but should be ok for now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sorry to jump on this but it seems the best place to ask as I'm having similar(ish) issues with my wipers at the minute.

Mine aren't resting at the "usual" place & tend to stop wherever they feel like on the screen (ie. halfway down, fully upright or wherever takes their fancy).

More irritatingly though is that when I nudge the stalk down to do one "swoop" the number it actually does varies from anything from 3 to 12 (before coming to rest wherever they feel like obviously).

Does this also sound like it could be something to do with "gunk" on the motors too? I'm getting to the latter stages of owning the car & don't really want to fork out a fortune on issues like this if I can help it.

Cheers.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Sorry to jump on this but it seems the best place to ask as I'm having similar(ish) issues with my wipers at the minute.

Mine aren't resting at the "usual" place & tend to stop wherever they feel like on the screen (ie. halfway down, fully upright or wherever takes their fancy).

More irritatingly though is that when I nudge the stalk down to do one "swoop" the number it actually does varies from anything from 3 to 12 (before coming to rest wherever they feel like obviously).

Does this also sound like it could be something to do with "gunk" on the motors too? I'm getting to the latter stages of owning the car & don't really want to fork out a fortune on issues like this if I can help it.

Cheers.
Yep, this is the same issue. Just gunk in the motor.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My mate has just bought a wiper motor but sold his car before fitting it. Does anyone want me to see if he's wanting to sell it? I'm sure it's still in his house.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts