2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I've got a 2015 Civic black edition 1.6Dtec, UK Version.

I've decided to upgrade the stereo head unit to a Sony XAV-AX3005DB.
I was using the CTKHD06 kit from Connects2, and all was going well, it seemed.
Unit comes on when I turn the ignition, the unit can search and find radio, the steering wheel remote works, my iphone connects to the sony and carplay works.
The only problem is there's no audio! Rather a large problem!

I understand that the OEM premium stereo provides non-amplified line-out signals, and these go to the Honda amp. That's fine, the Sony has preamp outputs on RCAs for all channels, so I can patch them into the Sony ISO harness.

What I'm a bit stuck with however, is how do I turn the Honda amp on? I believe there's a signal to it from the OEM head unit, but which wire?
Also, what signal does the amp need to turn on, is it a switched live, the same as goes to the Sony head unit to turn it on when the ignition key is turned?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm terribly sorry, but I don't see the relevance of either the second or third link in your post.

I believe that in order to turn on the Honda amplifier, I need to connect lead 13 in my Sony head unit's harness

To lead 24 in the Honda's main 24 pin connector...

After much more digging, I believe that's the correct setup - and then use the non-amplified RCA outputs on the sony to connect to the various Audio-in and sub-in on the Honda's wiring harness.

But if anyone can confirm or deny that, it would be very much appreciated!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I got the audio working.
So, what I've done is to keep using the Honda "premium audio" amplifier.
I cut the leads in the Sony ISO harness, so instead of connecting to the little black plug that goes into the sony unit (which are amplified), I've terminated them in 4x RCA/phono connectors, which then go to the preamp front L/R and rear L/R connections. +ve connection to the RCA inner, -ve connection to the RCA outer.

I've also tapped into the subwoofer connection on the Honda wiring harness (AUDIO UNIT CONNECTOR E 8P), and connected that to an RCA/phono plug, which connects to the back of the Sony unit.

Next, I've tapped into the standard Honda harness again, since the Connects2 CTSHO006.2 kit doesn't have the wire to turn the amplifier on.
This time I've taken the blue/white lead from the Sony ISO harness, and connected it to Lead 21 on the main Honda connector A, which is where the power amp gets it's signal to turn on...

And there we have it. It works. She chooches.

I still have some minor things to do:
At the moment, I've got the Sony USB connector coming into the glove box, which is a very minor inconvenience. I'd like to use the USB connector that's under the armrest in the centre console, but I've not found where that come out in the wiring loom, yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts