2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sold a kidney last week!
3,962 Posts
Not substantially - but it does have an impact if we were being technicala about it.

The Air-con unit can weigh upto about 20kg, and when in use has a very minor effect on the performance whilst driving.

That said, I'd take an Air-con car over a non, but if I found a minter without - that'd satisfy me.

·
Sold a kidney last week!
3,962 Posts
with the air con do the civics run slower? and do they use a lot of fuel
Nothing that'd be troubling the dyno's, but it does have a minimal effect - if you want to be correctly infomred about it scientifically/technically.

·
Registered
610 Posts
2 issues with specifically aircon.

1. Extra weight of system, Compressor, radiator, fan, pipework and matrix.
2. Extra drag/loading on the engine. Remember it's driven off the crank pulley so when running the load increases.

In theory in a drag race a car without aircon will beat a car with, simply by better power to weight and more power at the wheels......but not by much.

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
Not substantially - but it does have an impact if we were being technicala about it.

The Air-con unit can weigh upto about 20kg, and when in use has a very minor effect on the performance whilst driving.

That said, I'd take an Air-con car over a non, but if I found a minter without - that'd satisfy me.
I fitted the genuine Honda aircon kit to my non aircon mint EP3, this took me about 5 hours (I am a Electrician) and cost £880 from Holdcroft Honda a year ago, 3 months later I got rid of the EP3:(

Aircon kit

Before Aircon

With Aircon

I would say I would never buy a car again without aircon and I do miss the EP3 as this was shall we say a drivers B road car without a doubt, but now I do have a new Honda toy http://www.civinfo.com/forum/other-honda-cars/29199-honda-owner-again.html. When I come to get rid of the EP3 in January due to the car not being so practical for our needs I was only offered £4250 for the EP3 even through it was mint and had only done 29k, due to this reason I VT'd the EP3 back to Honda http://www.civinfo.com/forum/buying-dealers-servicing/21858-retuning-car-vt-under-halves-rule.html.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts