2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day whilst driving in the sun with my good lady I had to swerve out of the way of some idiot driver who thought he owned all the road. He was overtaking on a sweeping bend, and I had to swerve out of the way. I was travelling at about 60 mph (we were on an A road). If the VSA was switched off or the car didn't have stablity control i'm sure the car would off lost control and ended in the bank. Modern technology is wonderful!!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
The other day whilst driving in the sun with my good lady I had to swerve out of the way of some idiot driver who thought he owned all the road. He was overtaking on a sweeping bend, and I had to swerve out of the way. I was travelling at about 60 mph (we were on an A road). If the VSA was switched off or the car didn't have stablity control i'm sure the car would off lost control and ended in the bank. Modern technology is wonderful!!!
Theres a video somewhere of it working on a test track,very impressive!

Think it might be on the wiki

Chris

·
Registered
233 Posts

·
Premium Member
514 Posts

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
BTW, can't find where else this was mentioned so I'll post it here, after a jaunt out today (read into that what you will, needless to say my driving was a little enthusiastic), the VSA does not come back on above 50mph. It also IMHO, when turned off, allows far more movement and proper driving, giving the car better 'performance' (I hate the VSA on mine it cuts in far too early, like ABS, I'm not a great fan of that either and wish it could be turned on and off the same, it makes J-turns and purposeful skids nearly impossible).

However VSA in wet weather is a god send :)

ATB,
Tom

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have noticed it flash a few times, and the car will shuffle a bit if i am to heavy pulling away, :) was wondering what it was now i know its the VSA light

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I had an aqua planning adventure two days ago :oops::oops:
Was driving at 120 km/h on the motorway with light rain when there was a deep spot of water on the road. I felt the car sliding to the right and then back to the left. VSA started flashing on the dash and it was over. Impressed by it but dont want to see that happen again [smilie=tongue.gif]

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
With the recent snow we had here I had the chance to try out the VSA.

In a completely safe non-public road enviroment, I tried deliberatly upsetting the car and then watching the VSA rescue the situation.

I have to say I am quite impressed.

For example by pulling the handbrake in a 50 km/h corner sending the car into a full slide, the VSA quickly straightened the car again with no "whip back".

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
With the recent snow we had here I had the chance to try out the VSA.

In a completely safe non-public road enviroment, I tried deliberatly upsetting the car and then watching the VSA rescue the situation.

I have to say I am quite impressed.

For example by pulling the handbrake in a 50 km/h corner sending the car into a full slide, the VSA quickly straightened the car again with no "whip back".
I bet you did - so did I. Pretty cool...

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
At least not in a 12k car that I owned
It's all good fun, I wanted to see how it handled differently from my last car (RWD as opposed to FWD), As long as it's done properly it won't hurt your car to any degree........... just got to have control.

It used to be great fun drifting onto roundabouts etc. especially the cockeyed one at the bottom of death hill, no matter how you set that one, you never come of it to go towards Bluewater at the correct angle, you always have to adjust on leaving.

Amazing video !!
I knew what it all did but after watching this video, i am NEVER touching that VSA-button again :p They should make this standard on every car. Even if it raises the price, its totally worth it!
TBH I'm in the other camp, it should be your choice to put it on, in i.e. wet weather etc. as for me, all the computer enhancements limits the amount of people who can drive properly (the amount of guys my age who have no knowledge of what to do if ABS fails is scary.......), all the technology is great, but when it fails there are many drivers who undoubtedly would be left not knowing what to do......... I have my VSA off quite often, as I consider myself good enough not to need it on most occasions.............afterall I should tell the car what to do, not the other way around.

Tom

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Quick question - do you think if you are involved in an accident and it was found you had turned VSA off, would there be a problem with your insurance claim?

Morris Minor

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Quick question - do you think if you are involved in an accident and it was found you had turned VSA off, would there be a problem with your insurance claim?

Morris Minor
Don´t really see how, you are not breaking the law - but with insurance companies you never know. They could probably try to call it "reckless".

1 - 20 of 20 Posts