2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can obviously not contain spaces.

We are very close to 2018 and manufacturers still place completely irresponsible restrictions on WLAN passwords.

WhattheheckHonda,really?

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,279 Posts
It's more for ease of use, yes it's oldhat now but policies or coding habits tend to stick around for a long time.

Main reason for no spaces that I can think of:
- Leading or trailing spaces tend to get trimmed, bad programming if it's done on a password field but happens
- Spaces can be parsed differently by different prgramming languages, some convert them to a set of characters like " " or ' ' or   or a new line entirely etc meaning the hash will be completely wrong on different platforms, again mainly down to bad programmers
- Customer support would be a nightmare, I used to have my customers write their passwords when repairing their machine and if spaces were a factor I can imagine it being a pain
- I was also taught that the spacebar key is a different sound to the rest of the keys which "helps" give away portions of your password. Again oldhat however.

TLDR out of date programming practices :)

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sound of a spacebar on a touchscreen is certainly a factor :serious:.

And it's also not a limitation of the underlying Android system. I'm writing embedded software (much smaller devices) and I know a lot of the stuff around, but security is a part where almost everyone needs to improve upon (my company as well).

I'm just amazed by the fact that a stock Android would have no trouble doing this correctly, so Honda must have ACTIVELY changed the way passwords are handled to get to the point, that space is not accepted.

Well I can of course change my password, but it was such a nice, grammatically correct sentence that it was easy to remember and hard to hack. :frown2:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts