2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let my 2.2cdti run very low on fuel.

Now it won't start....

I put a jerry can's worth in and heard a noticeable air release upon removing cap!

I guess I have air in the system now :(

Any easy way to solve this? I did read many modern diesels have an automatic priming system...does the Civic?

Thanks in advance

·
i-Vtec
1,597 Posts
Found this for you, post #4

The pressure release from the fuel tank is normal. And next time don't play the Fuel Warning Light challenge ;)

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
your lucky
the 8g diesel civic has a hand bleed pump under the bonnet
open bonnet and look towards the back of engine bay along the windscreen panel there is a little segment with 2 screw heads
remove this panel and pump the little balloon until hard then try to start the car

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found this for you, post #4

And next time don't play the Fuel Warning Light challenge ;)
yep i guess it was about time it caught up with me! always play that game and regularly get 20-40+ miles but this time pushed it a bit too far at 60+...:eek:

got home ok but it did seem to briefly stutter about 0.5ml from home.

remove this panel and pump the little balloon until hard then try to start the car
will squeezing it until hard be enough or will i have to open the bleed screw?

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
never run 1 dry
but try pumping it up till hard and see

but if it don't start and run by just pumping up on first try

try again while someone else presses the starter button
I think off top of my head its around middle of panel
mine always started after filter change by just pumping the primer bubble this will fill the line and fuel filter

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how hard should the bulb get?

i've spent a good while squeezing it but doesn't seem to be getting any harder?? certainly not 'rock' hard..

without having the bleed screw open where could the air be expelled to??

would having the fuel filler cap off whilst squeezing allow the air to escape?

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
from memory id dosnt get solid
fuel cap shouldn't make a difference as there is a vent hole to allow air into the tank to stop it vacuuming
does car attempt to fire
you could always try to see if the fuel cut off switch has been triggered
its under a little panel on edge of dash when you open drivers door

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it's turning over just not starting...

fuel cut off switch seems ok.. (does it 'pop-up' if activated?)

will try the priming bulb a bit more but might have to look at an alternative method..

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
will have another look tomorrow when the weather is a bit better!

i have read these can be a pig to get all the air out so maybe just need to do a lot more squeezing of the bulb!

i wonder if only having a jerry can's worth of fuel in the tank (4lt) and being on an upward slope isn't helping matters....??

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
there is always the question if it was fuel in the first place aswell
you say ran low rather than ran out
I know transit vans more often than not need a tow to get them running even after just a filter change

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't understand why you'd run it so low? It's a diesel I hope you haven't been cranking it over with no fuel in as it can burn the diesel pump out and they're high pressure, they use diesel as lubrication just like a petrol uses petrol in the fuel pump to lubricate the pump.
I refuel mine every time it hits 40 miles on the range. Running it to empty is getting all the collected up impurities and lumps of grime from over the years get sucked into the pump and injectors out of the tank.
I don't think you're going to get away with using the cars pump to get the air out the tank & lines, they're high pressure. Diesel's are a nightmare to bleed once air is locked in the system. You need to get it towed to a mechanic and have them use a proper pump to get the air sucked out. It's going to cost you in excess of £100 to have it fixed now. For the sake of what? A £10 saving.
You could probably get a mobile mechanic out to save a towing cost. But either way it's an expensive endeavour. You'll need a pump and to either remove all the air filter assembly to get to the diesel filter or go in from underneath after removing the underneath engine cover. Then attach a pump to the filter and suck the air out from the line.

If you had a petrol it'd be a whole different story, put the fuel in open the petrol cap and prime the pump twice turning the key to the second click, then turn it over and off you go. Diesel is a absolute headache when you run them out of diesel.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
you don't get the same amount of crap in tanks these days like you did when tanks were cheap metal ones that rusted very quickly in some cases

1 - 20 of 27 Posts