2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer says they have to replace clutch and refurbish - if I'm lucky - or replace flywheel as it's burnt.

They say I slip clutch too much.

Is it normal at 63k????

flywheel.jpg

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
Hmmm, that flywheel has seen some action.

Do you slip the clutch?

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't think I slip the clutch until now. I used the car a lot in town in stop n go traffic, and than you have to slip the clutch, but other than that just normal use.

No track days, not particularly heavy use, how can it be burnt? Maybe it was the first owner, but I have the car in the last 4 years and 40k miles...

Any idea? Am I the lame driver or is the flywheel poor quality or is it just normal wear?

·
A wizard is never late...
793 Posts
My flywheel with 62k on it is coming out tomorrow so I can compare them, but that looks like excess slipping the clutch to me as it's very burnt.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I didn't think I slip the clutch until now. I used the car a lot in town in stop n go traffic, and than you have to slip the clutch, but other than that just normal use.
Slip the clutch in traffic???

explain this......Unless im doing something wrong ive never done this

Been driving circa 11 years now

confused??

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok what do you mean by slipping a clutch?
i mean that you balance the clutch pedal at or around the take up point when you want to start smoothly mainly in firts gear, so you dont jump off the pedal but smoothly let it off

·
A wizard is never late...
793 Posts
i had a hiccup when removing my old flywheel yesterday so don't have pictures for you to compare. the new rpc flywheel tegiwa sent me didn't have the dowels in the box so my car is on a lift until they come...

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
When stationary at a function/lights, do you keep the clutch in, disengage or rock back and forth?

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope i keep in neutral as long as possible or keep the clutch fully disengaged (pedal pressed to the floor)

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
Good, that eliminates at least 1 bad habit lots of folk seem to have these days.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
If you need a new flywheel, I have one up for sale on here at the moment.
It is second hand but in good shape.
Have a look through the FS section if you do need it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
When I had my clutch changed, Honda insisted I replace the burnt flywheel. I didn't have the funds at the time, so I couldn't afford to get it done. When I collected it, the mechanic who did it said he managed to "tidy it up"?! Not sure how. Guess the burn was superficial.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
When I drive the car Hard..... I get the smell of burnt hair coming in the car. Has anyone else experienced this??? Weird! Some say that it might be my brakes rubbing others say Flywheel. Me? I think it's gotta be the flywheel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts