2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Civinfo, wonder if someone could help with a bit of speculation.

Yesterday, I was driving my Type R back from France when it had a major problem. I had just filled with fuel and was accelerating away from the petrol station when, after about a minute, I noticed white smoke coming from the rear. There was a fair bit so I eased right off the gas (I had reached about 100mph by then). There was no loss in power and no noises from the engine other than the purring I expect. After I eased off, the oil light came on and I pulled over.

When I got out of the car, it was dropping all the oil onto the side of the road.

I've relayed her to a Honda garage outside Paris, who are going to take a look tomorrow and give me a call.

I've had to return to the UK due to work.

She's an '07 CTR GT with 35k on the clock and a full Honda service history. Mint example and have had no problems for the 5k miles I've owned her.

I usually drive around London with the odd country trip to the family.
I never pull away before warming up the engine properly and top up with oil regularly.
Actually, I topped up on the way down to the event on Friday.

I'm a bit concerned that it's ahead gasket or a cylinder/head issue but, I'm a bit on the dark really - lot's of conflicting symptoms online.

Can anyone offer any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Cheers,

Ben

·
Administrator
18,083 Posts
Oh cripes, doesn't sound good.

It needs a thorough mechanical inspection next. Let us know the outcome.

Good luck.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Blown head gasket does not explain oil dripping everywhere as the broken part is between the coolant and cylinder.
Does explain the white smoke tho.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Head gasket on the k20 in my experience is unheard of, I hope you get it fixed soon mate.

Did you scrape something underneath the car, eg has the sump scraped and fractured?

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Given that you had no loss in power (and hence presumably no loss of compression), I'd be surprised if this were the head gasket, although I'm just guessing.

I'd find it more likely that a mechanical component has gone, or possibly the sump gasket or oil filter housing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got my fingers crossed for the sump plug being the problem.
The spilled oil burning off the exhaust pipes might explain the smoke.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
If I was a betting man that's what I'd say!

Hopefully you turned the engine off in time so it didn't have oil starvation

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, as soon as the oil warning light came on, I coasted to the side of the road.

I think she heard me talking about getting the 2015 Type R... :)

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
id guess you split the sump or the plug has dropped out dumping all your lovely oil over the red hot exhaust creating the go go gadget smokescreen.

Generally h/g failure that bad would cause loss of power.

·
Registered
487 Posts
The best part is that the oil did not ignite. My car was burned down by an idiot transmission shop who left some hose detached and it sprinkled on the exhaust and kaboom. No car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah, still not heard back fully from the French garage - all I know is they are planning to test the engine tomorrow.
Logic tells me they're obviously confident she'll hold whatever oil they've filled her back up with which means the huge leak is fixed - conjecture leads me to think the December service left a loose sump plug that blew when I nailed the engine for long enough for substantial oil pressure to build up (I usually potter around London a couple of times a week).

Fingers & toes still crossed though.

B

·
Registered
487 Posts
Loose sump plug or they replaced it with the old washer. Needs a new one every time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Soooooo, wonderful, the French Honda dealer says it was the sump plug.
They're checking the engine for damage today - how I have no idea.

Question - if it is a poorly fixed washer (I had a service less than 600miles ago), is the garage that carried out the work liable? (they are, of course, right now denying responsibility).

What recourse have I got?

Cheers,
B

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yes. If there's no damage that could have ripped the plug off then it's 100% the garage is liable. There's no objective reason the plug could unscrew itself if a new washer was used and tightened to specs.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Agreed. The garage should absolutely accept liability - if they don't, you should feel free to start bandying around words such as "lawyers" and "court" ;)

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
So was the smoke white or grey/blue?

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
I had just filled with fuel and was accelerating away from the petrol station when, after about a minute, I noticed white smoke coming from the rear. There was a fair bit so I eased right off the gas (I had reached about 100mph by then). There was no loss in power and no noises from the engine other than the purring I expect. After I eased off, the oil light came on and I pulled over.

Reading the above and the fact we now know the sump plug had come loose and the fact the oil light only came on when you had eased off I suspect you will be fine and the smoke was in fact oil burning on the exhaust or something. I think you was very lucky as you slowed and stopped before the car run dry and had time to destroy itself ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts