2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any of you guys advise whether or not this would make a worthwile upgrade over the standard airbox - even if i'm running a K&N panel in it already!?

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Far as i can see it's just a different airbox running the same panel filter i already have so i'm just wondering if it can warrant the £400 asking price (even if it is C/fibre!?)

Any known performance gains to be had over standard!?

I know what there "claiming" in the add, but in real world terms!?

Been thinking about adding the odd wee upgrade as n when i can, and indcution seems as good-a place to start as any, and i know i don't want an open cone in the engine bay becuase of heatsoak etc, but also becuase i don't want overly loud induction roar either!

Certainly looks nice if nothing else- i will say that!

·
Batmobiles Rule ✌
6,587 Posts
The Tegiwa airbox is a good upgrade for your car and is very similar to the Mugen version. I don't think on its own you will get any noticeable performance improvement just a little more induction noise.

Get Flashpro first if you are after performance. Installing the group N map makes a massive difference to the car's performance, even with stock intake. You can get the Flashpro for (I think) £583.20 from TDI North.:)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So are you saying then that the Tegiwa box and apnel filter will yield NO MORE in terms of extra performance than my current o.e airbox with the same K&N panel - just more noise!?

Flashpro is on my "to do" list!!;)

·
Batmobiles Rule ✌
6,587 Posts
Not saying there will be no gain, just nothing noticeable. Put together with other mods and a custom map you will see noticeable gains but not on its own.:)

Flashpro is the best mod to start off with as you get instant transformation of the cars performance & behaviour.

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
Here is an untuned dyno of the airbox. It will give the feeling of better throttle response at lower revs and 6bhp towards the top end as the dyno shows. Flashpro will give you the mid range. 3700 rpm vtech sounds great.

I've have bought the airbox but not fitted it yet. It's smoothed out on the inside. The OEM one has fins. The internal volume is also larger but as you say the panel is the same size. You also get the lower part of the intake. It's like an airscoop and has a less restrictive air flow that the OEm. It's all designed to get cold air in and basically a Mugen copy.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
You should look at breathing mods all adding a little but contribute to a greater gain when you come to adding more serious mods. simply put...

Intake - lets the engine breathe in more "cooler" air

Exhaust manifold - helps the engine breathe out more gasses with out the restrictions of a cat

Cat Back Exhaust- reduces the back pressure resulting in exhaust gasses being dispelled quicker..

and of course a custom map to take all these into consideration

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks fellas!;)

What i was planning on doing (once/if i actually start moddin!) is to do the induction, then look at the zorst, and then look at somet like Flashpro and get it properly mapped to compliment all the mods I have done (which performance wise probably won't be many!) or maybe buy all the bits and then just add them all at the same time and map to suit!

If i could get everything i want (so far anyway) mod wise, it would go Induction,Exhaust,Flashpro,Eibach springs and an FRS done, and maybe a Wavetrack diff added and then tbh i think i'd probably stop, but before that lot i'd really like to get my paintwork tidied up/redone as to me it seems daft modding a car that looks a bit scruffy in places (paint job depends very much on how much they'd want to do what i want!)

Don't want to go too far mod wise tbh, but i'll bet the above will easily burn through £5/6k without too much problem!!!:rolleyes:

As for manifolds for the car though - can you get any mani's that allow you to retain the cat (or maybe add a sportcat), or are they all setup with cat removal in mind!?? Had a FULL exhaust system on my ZS180 and it really boosted low & mid rpm torque without sacrificing any top end!!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is an untuned dyno of the airbox. It will give the feeling of better throttle response at lower revs and 6bhp towards the top end as the dyno shows. Flashpro will give you the mid range. 3700 rpm vtech sounds great.

I've have bought the airbox but not fitted it yet. It's smoothed out on the inside. The OEM one has fins. The internal volume is also larger but as you say the panel is the same size. You also get the lower part of the intake. It's like an airscoop and has a less restrictive air flow that the OEm. It's all designed to get cold air in and basically a Mugen copy.
What are the two plots on the graph showing?, is one a run with the O.e airbox, and one a run with the Tegiwa box in place!?

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
Yeah. Dotted lines are stock and solid lines are with the airbox fitted. Red line is bhp and blue line is torque.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right - what i thought, Sooo - next question, was the car TOTALLY stock on the 1st run (NO mods at all!?)

Reason i'm asking is i'm trying to understand if the plot shows the gains of the box and pipework or the gains of the box,pipework & the free'er flowing filter element combined!

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
You might find this interesting to compare. This one is airbox, manifold and Flashpro tuned. Note the midrange.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You might find this interesting to compare. This one is airbox, manifold and Flashpro tuned. Note the midrange.
Yeah - that's a worthwhile gain there - good bit more in the mid range!!!!

Tegiwa airbox is also smoothed out inside and should have slightly more volume than an OEM airbox.
My concern with the Tegiwa box setup is HOW MUCH of the gain si coming from the freer flowing K&N panel, compared to how muc from the box itself, you can get a K&N panel for £40 (i did!), but with the Twegiwa costing an extra £340 on top of that- is the box itself giving enough of an "extra" gain to warrant the extra money it costs over the panel itself!???

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
I have the k&n in the stock box at the moment and it offers no increase in bhp/torque. It's all the kit not the panel.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Aha - Ok!

What about the manifolds?, Is it possible to get them that allow you to retain the cat/allow for a sportcat to be fitted!?

Also if you fit a sportcat do you need a MIL eliminator to stop it throwing up a fault code/light on the dash ( i had to do this with the 200CPi Janspeed jobbie i had as part of my exhaust on my zs!

Deffo want to keep a cat in the system as i can't be bothered with peeing around come MOT time!

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
The only one I know of is the Mugen, there maybe more. Mugen very expensive though.

From what I gather Flashpro sorts out all the errors/faults etc

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Atleast you can get one which is good to know!

Cheers;)

Mugen parts being expensive - never!:rolleyes:

Still i know what adding a manifold and sportcat did for my 180, if i can get anywhere near those gains with the CTR (funds permitting anyway) it would be worth it!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts