2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, found a 2010 Honda Civic Si 1.4 Vtec for sale for £3600 with 52k miles.

Would you touch it with a barge poll?

Ad states it has a a full service history. Is it work a look or to little mileage for the age?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
9 year old car with 52k is fairly low millage by todays standards
no experience with 1.4 but plenty say its under powered
as for price well it all depends on what you think its worth to you

·
i-Vtec
1,663 Posts
Seems reasonably priced considering service and mileage history and from the trade. As above id be worried it may be a bit underpowered, but give it a good test drive and see how it feels to you.

Nice colour btw. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice colour btw. ;)
I guess you've found that car I'm talking about on various sites?

I had a 57 plate 1.8 Civic ES between 2008-2012. At the time I hated it. However, I am feeling oddly nostalgic about it.

·
i-Vtec
1,663 Posts
It wasnt hard to find tbh. It took me an awful long time to gel with mine tbh. I really nearly put it back up for sale within 2 months of buying it. Swapping the rear shocks out for a pair of Bilstein B 4's help immensely in making it a better place to be.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not a bad idea. The ride for me wasn't the best when doing a 100 mile round trip commute each day on the **.

I took me ages to figure out how to get the best performance out of the vtec engine aswell....didnt realise you had to rev it within an inch of its life.

Also, no idea why, but every service, it felt like I had to change the break pads/discs? As I was doing 20k mile a year, that was almost every 6 months.
Probably didn't help that I as using Halfords or Kwik fit for the services.

But, I still like how it looks, and the idea of the vtec engine again appeals to me....rather than all the turbo charged waz that's out there at the moment.

·
i-Vtec
1,663 Posts
Same here, took me so long to figure out that its the worst engine i've ever had, then I was doing 86 in third from the lights at Hermiston Gait up the M 8 barely at the slip road from the A71, lol. Just bare in mind the 1.4 only has 98 bhp, so even wringing its neck out you might not be going anywhere fast.
Couldn't say i've had any issues with brakes wearing fast.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I was thinking of sitting at 70 on the M6 lol.... need something reliable and cheap for some commuting.

But yeah, the breaks were a nightmare, I think partly down to dodgy repair guys. It failed an MOT as the whipper wasn't clearing the windscreen, took over a week to get the correct part in!

·
Super Moderator
3,553 Posts
Perhaps if kev habitually revs it to within an inch of it's life, he also habitually gives the brakes a pretty good work out as well.>:)

·
Enjoying life
8,529 Posts
I found the car too heavy for that engine, had one whilst mine was in for a service.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found the car too heavy for that engine, had one whilst mine was in for a service.
Thats what I was a little afraid of. Was half hoping that revving it would help make it feel little better due to its characteristics.

·
Premium Member
1,700 Posts
I suspect the 1.8 is pretty much where the 5 door 8 gen is in its 'comfort zone'. 2.2's are sublime (owned 3), but our current 1.8 auto 5 years on still does everything we could ask of it ( avoid the potholes where poss though!)

I would think plenty to chose from, but yes, a ball ac#e seeking 'the one' out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
a ball ac#e seeking 'the one' out.
Oh I agree there! Plenty of lowish mileage Si or even Type S...all with the 1.4 vtec.

The other half has said Im not allowed a 8/9 year old car.....I can be stubborn, I think Ill win in the end.

Need to give the 1.4 a drive at some point, see if it feels too slow.

·
Enjoying life
8,529 Posts
Can I ask why you would chose a 1.4 over a 1.8?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its purely on availability....there are alot of Mk8 examples around at decent mileage vs the 1.8.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts