2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sad news guys 馃槴
Non fault accident for me, damage is only on the driver's door but I'm worried that it will be a total loss cause of the age of the car cause the millage is 69k which is not bad for a 12years old car imo.
Currently i'm waiting for the decision of the at-fault insurance company if it's repairable or a write off.
I'm gutted cause i spent almost 1k and loads of my personal time working on the car the last 2 months to sort it out 馃槳

Here some pics of the damage:
Automotive parking light Car Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Road surface

What do you reckon guys, repair or write off??
Value of the car on Auto Trader at the moment 3.5K
Any tips or suggestions in case of a write off?? 馃ズ

i-Vtec
Difficult to know what insurance companies will do. But if its a write off ask for a buy back price and you will pick up a door for that in the same colour no problem.

Registered
The below wrote my car off.

Utter joke however I was not at fault at all, it was parked up outside my house.

Got paid out for it, I bought my car back and "repaired" it by screwing in a new bumper. Took awhile to source and set me back 拢70.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Car is a CAT N now however, that side's wheel arch liner has never really fitted back on properly since and the rear suspension is ever so slightly out. Not enough to affect the handling in any meaningful way.

Only issue is I'm pretty much forced to keep the car until it's uneconomical now but that's not "too" much of an issue!

My insurance also didn't go up at all either which was the bigger surprise.

Would take a swap for a 2.0 Honda Accord however :whistle:

Oh and if yours is just the door then it's an easy enough fix. It'll likely have caused less long term damage than on mine, just make sure you have an extra person to hand or you're very strong otherwise the door can be somewhat hard to replace!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Negativvv since yours was a write off then mine is a write off for sure 馃檨
I'm waiting for their offer and then i need to find and buy a second hand door.
I'm thinking to go with a bare door and swap over everything from the old one, it shouldn't be a big deal i hope..

Registered
If you're really interested I can dig out the engineer's report but in short, they estimated the damage to my car was 拢2,300 to fix with 13 hours labour... NOT including any possible additional damage!

They'll include damage to the rear door also in their estimate I'd assume.

My car is a 2008 5 door 1.8, SE trim so fairly low spec. Insurance valued it at 拢2k last May.

I've spent a bit of time on my car too, it's in far better condition than when I first got it anyway!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you're really interested I can dig out the engineer's report but in short, they estimated the damage to my car was 拢2,300 to fix with 13 hours labour... NOT including any possible additional damage!

They'll include damage to the rear door also in their estimate I'd assume.

My car is a 2008 5 door 1.8, SE trim so fairly low spec. Insurance valued it at 拢2k last May.

I've spent a bit of time on my car too, it's in far better condition than when I first got it anyway!
For the same reason i wanna keep mine too, 4 brand new tyres, all 4 break disks and pads, new auxilary belt, sparkplugs etc etc..
I dont know how much they gonna offer but it doesn't really matter if i can cover the cost to buy it back plus buying a new door to fix it my self, i hope that they dont need paperwork from a garage as a proof of the repair otherwise i'm a bit stuck.
MOT is due next month, i hope i won't have any problems there if i do it myself.
Do you remember if they asked you for proof of repair?
If it's a CAT N should i declare it to the DVLA?
With a bit of research you need to declare it with the DVLA if its a CAT S but i couldn't find something for CAT N.

Registered
What I haven't done to my car is a smaller list than what I've done...

The process to me was they sent an engineer round, surveyed the car and told me it was a write off with the amount plus whether I wished to buy it back.

I chose to buy it back and this amount was deducted from my pay out, it was only about 拢180.

Be warned, some insurers will just take the car and you'll be forced to take the money...

I've no idea RE the DLVA Cat N status, I just looked it up and it isn't clear as if you tell the DVLA a car has been written off the V5 is filled in for the insurance company to take and I wasn't told to do this by the insurer! I'll keep looking around, might ask my current insurer. I never plan to sell it on, the biggest issue is getting sued by someone if the car was to be sold in the future I think.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow what do you mean some insures will just take the car and i will be forced to take the money?? 馃槼
I dont have any plans to sell the car too.

Registered
Take a read of this...

Accident damage/write off offer.

I just checked my car's history for 拢3 via some online site, says it's a write off so the insurer has obviously registered it somewhere. A Cat N doesn't need to be on the log book so I don't believe I've got any obligation to get it amended.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Take a read of this...

Accident damage/write off offer.

I just checked my car's history for 拢3 via some online site, says it's a write off so the insurer has obviously registered it somewhere. A Cat N doesn't need to be on the log book so I don't believe I've got any obligation to get it amended.
My car insurance is Axa and the company that managing my claim called AX, so far everything looks smooth, they sort me out with a hire car the next morning and they informed me that i can keep the hire car for 7 more days after the pay off of the third party if its a write off scenario.
I hope i dont have the same issues that @donetello had.
So the value of the car if they write it off is somewhere around 10% of the car value just before the accident if i got it right?

Registered
It is worth pointing out that if it is the other party is at fault then their insurers cannot write off your car! Only your own insurers can choose to write off your car as you will have signed up to that within your policy smallprint.

You do not have a contract with the 3rd party insurer so are not bound by any of their terms & conditions, they have a responsibility to return your car to pre-accident state whether it is economical or not. They might push to write your car off as the cheapest solution for them but dont let them bully you into it, be prepared to dig in and do your homework - get quotes from reputable bodyshops as a starting point.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is worth pointing out that if it is the other party is at fault then their insurers cannot write off your car! Only your own insurers can choose to write off your car as you will have signed up to that within your policy smallprint.

You do not have a contract with the 3rd party insurer so are not bound by any of their terms & conditions, they have a responsibility to return your car to pre-accident state whether it is economical or not. They might push to write your car off as the cheapest solution for them but dont let them bully you into it, be prepared to dig in and do your homework - get quotes from reputable bodyshops as a starting point.

I was on the phone today with AX that managing my claim and the lady told me that in 7 to 10 days i will need to book an appointment with an engineer of third party that they will investigate and evaluate my car and then they will make an offer, so i thought that its the third party that they write off my car and not my insurer but probably i was wrong then. Thank you @Par CRX

Registered
CW GT
Oh noes mate, that truly sucks you've put loads into your first civic too buddy.

Hope it comes good Chris.

Reactions: Chris9

Registered
My car got hit just after Christmas, I informed my insurance but haven't had to use it as the other persons insurance took full responsibility.
It's always better, like you, if you still have the car and it's not gone to the insurance body shop, as they can't write the car off until have an agreed price.
You can take the car to any body shop and get them to send a quote to the insurance company of the other person, it's better if they use an approved system (Glass) to do the quote, as this is what the insurance companies use, so they can't argue with it.
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

The quote for mine was 拢3609, and is being repaired now.
There's a good chance they will write yours off (expensive to replace the door for the insurance company) but like the others have said, a door from a salvage yard or ebay will cost you around 拢100, and you can fit it yourself or get a body shop to fit it and repair the other scuffs.

Registered
CW GT
My car got hit just after Christmas, I informed my insurance but haven't had to use it as the other persons insurance took full responsibility.
It's always better, like you, if you still have the car and it's not gone to the insurance body shop, as they can't write the car off until have an agreed price.
You can take the car to any body shop and get them to send a quote to the insurance company of the other person, it's better if they use an approved system (Glass) to do the quote, as this is what the insurance companies use, so they can't argue with it.
View attachment 323318
The quote for mine was 拢3609, and is being repaired now.
There's a good chance they will write yours off (expensive to replace the door for the insurance company) but like the others have said, a door from a salvage yard or ebay will cost you around 拢100, and you can fit it yourself or get a body shop to fit it and repair the other scuffs.
Ouchies mate, nothing worse esp when some other bellend is at fault.

Reactions: Chris9

Registered
You don鈥檛 need to inform the dvla about cat N but it will show up on a hpi check

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm guessing that telling the DVLA stuff is outdated now? As I read something about sending the logbook to the insurance company and you then re-apply for it via the DVLA.

My insurer asked for nothing of the sort, they just deduced the buy back from the pay out and said off I go with my car.

And yeah I checked on a HPI check and it shows up as a Cat N...

Premium Member
I'm guessing that telling the DVLA stuff is outdated now? As I read something about sending the logbook to the insurance company and you then re-apply for it via the DVLA.

My insurer asked for nothing of the sort, they just deduced the buy back from the pay out and said off I go with my car.

And yeah I checked on a HPI check and it shows up as a Cat N...
I think if it鈥檚 a Cat S, then you鈥檒l need to send off the logbook and do another mot before putting it back on the road but for a Cat N you don鈥檛 need to.

Heading for the naughty step
Alabaster civic 08 Type R
I think if it鈥檚 a Cat S, then you鈥檒l need to send off the logbook and do another mot before putting it back on the road but for a Cat N you don鈥檛 need to.

Yes that鈥檚 correct as the cat s is structural/crumple zones failure so will fall under a required mot safety for the road after repairs, so will have to inform dvla. Cat n non structural so just panel which doesn鈥檛 impede the safety aspects of the car.
It鈥檚 shite when this happen, I have been through it twice, plus if you courtesy car is not up to par you can claim one of the third party if required.

Registered
You are lucky the
Sad news guys 馃槴
Non fault accident for me, damage is only on the driver's door but I'm worried that it will be a total loss cause of the age of the car cause the millage is 69k which is not bad for a 12years old car imo.
Currently i'm waiting for the decision of the at-fault insurance company if it's repairable or a write off.
I'm gutted cause i spent almost 1k and loads of my personal time working on the car the last 2 months to sort it out 馃槳

Here some pics of the damage: View attachment 323299
View attachment 323297

What do you reckon guys, repair or write off??
Value of the car on Auto Trader at the moment 3.5K
Any tips or suggestions in case of a write off?? 馃ズ
I cant tell if you have a 3 door, so if you do then I would get the rear scratch buffed out or repaired, then just replace the door by buying a used one on eBay for about 拢40. If its a 5 door then perhaps buy both back and front doors.
Honda Civic Mk8 2006 (56) Drivers Offside Front Door Black B92P | eBay

For example, I bought my car with a dent on the back and was surprised at how cheap parts are, so replaced entire bumper and complete tailgate for 拢110 !!
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Wheel

Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

1 - 20 of 20 Posts