2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

So it looks like my 59 Civic is going to fall short short of joining the 200k club, written off with a mere 187k on the clock. My fault, so I have to pay the excess anyway, the insurer has offered £2k which is frankly more than I expected considering mileage, the aircon is not working and the central locking plays up in the summer (though they wouldn't have know that).

I still have the vehicle, the inspection was done based on the photos I supplied. The damage is to the rear door and the body work it closes against (the inner wing). Perfectly driveable, the rear wheel seems to have escaped the impact. I don't really need it at the moment, I'm working from home, but obviously don't want to be without a car.

I got the email from esure yesterday telling to notify the DVLA, send the log book etc. I assume after that they will collect the vehicle and scrap it? Anyone know how long I can drag this out for, I'd like to hang onto it until I can source a replacement (I'm diabetic and will be trying to get something online from a reputable source to avoid having to come into contact with anyone).

Cheers

Chris

·
Super Moderator
2,115 Posts
sounds like there not collecting car
if they do its up to them to notify dvla

whatever you do don't send logbook off before you get paid out

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
What category was it written off as? Did they not offer you the car back as salvage?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, re-reading the email the have asked me to notify the DVLA that I am no longer the registered owner and to send them the following:

• V5C Vehicle Registration Certificate
  • MOT Certificate if the vehicle is over 3 years old.
  • All spare sets of keys, please remove any key rings.
  • Any fascias and security codes of audio equipment.
  • Please do NOT send any vehicle manuals.
If I send them the keys the can't expect me to scrap it myself, you wouldn't even get it on a truck without them. I'm thinking this is just a standard email sent based on the assumption they had the car to inspect at their engineer and not from photos. They are clearly taking ownership of it as far as I understand it? I think I'll have to call them to clarify.

I've found a car I'm interested anyway, 7 miles away and the dealer will drive it over for inspection and test drive so I may get a replacement sorted this week (sorry, its not a Civic this time). I've had my money's worth out of it mind, £13k less the £2k I'm getting back , I did 171k miles and only really has to do two door actuator, rear discs (my fault) and a £40 weld to the fuel line when it started leaking. Just lights, tyres, pads and servicing on top of that.

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
243 Posts
I had the exact same situation with my crash. Send pictures, then they took about 4-5 days to come back and write it off as a Category N (non-structural.)

And then said they'll either be giving me the full amount they quoted or deduct 20% to keep the vehicle and keep the insurance running. I opted to keep the car, you'll make more than that 20% selling it privately, most probably. Although it is on the high mileage side. Look at the scrap value, deduct the 20% and work out if scrap is more or not.

If I was going to let them have it they were going to arrange for Co Part to come and collect it. And asked me to send the V5 to them as traders.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers, I'll check out the scrap value and confirm if there is an option to retain the car (and what category write off it is, they just said it wasn't economic. When I spoke to the engineer before the decision was made he did say he reckoned it could go either way but the metallic paint would push the repair estimate up) - Chris

·
Registered
243 Posts
Cheers, I'll check out the scrap value and confirm if there is an option to retain the car (and what category write off it is, they just said it wasn't economic. When I spoke to the engineer before the decision was made he did say he reckoned it could go either way but the metallic paint would push the repair estimate up) - Chris
They'll most certainly write it off. They cannot use scrap yard or used parts. Everything has to be sourced new. Even a bumper can be £1,000+ new.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to conclude this, turns out the email from esure was incorrect - I got a call from Copart in Chester this morning, and as I suspected they don't want the key posting (or the V5 if done online, or the MOT which has gone past its certificate date anyway and is the in the 6 month covid extension). So the the car is going tomorrow and Esure a paying out £2k less the excess.I did do an online check for the scrap value and it was £113 so no point trying to buy it back really.

Saw a 2018 VW Golf 1.4 SE at the weekend and put a deposit on it, I'll miss the torque of the civic dieel (and probably the reliability!) but all things end, but I've had 9 years and 171k miles from it, which isn't bad is it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts