2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Race Taxi Pilot
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased a reversing camera kit for my '56 EX i-CTDi as pictured below.

Problem is, it seems to be completely wrong fitment-wise. :confused:

As the item was less that 15 sovs, shipped from Hong Kong, it seems it would make more economic sense to mod it to fit my vehicle.

Can anyone verify if it would work? Are the standard wiring and pinouts the same for the EX regardless of which camera I use?

Also, as the unit comes with no instructions, so what are the short red leads for coming out of each end of the video extension lead for?

NB this Kit was advertised for fitting to a 09 Civic. (I know, I should have known better! :rolleyes:)

Cheers!

·
Race Taxi Pilot
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will work :)... But you will need to make an adaptor cable for it to plug into the back of the Navigation or I can make you one...

See here... http://www.civinfo.com/forum/civinfo-traders/51028-video-cables-reversing-camera-etc.html

Does it fit the number plate holder? If not, you could always cut away the frame from the camera and glue it to the car.
With the cable I have supplied, it looks as though I will need a female RCA-type harness to fit. I am quite good at this sort of thing though (wiring, soldering etc.), so I will have a go myself at making one up, but thanks for the offer.

I don't know if it fits the number plate holder, but It certainly doesn't fit the license plate light, as it is a completely different shape.

Looks like it might be for a saloon or something, maybe?

I'm pretty certain I can modifiy it without too much effort though. [smilie=fixtit.gif]

Just need a free weekend and some decent weather, though... :rolleyes:

·
Race Taxi Pilot
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great success

Made the satnav harness up the other day and just did a preliminary test of the camera and it works!

I did foolishly connect the camera power from the license plate light first and so confused head-scratching ensued when all i got was a blank screen. I quick reconnection to the reverse light did the trick though!

My hands were too big to squeeze in behind the glovebox, so i comprimised and took out all the screws and poppers just enough to get my hand in and fit the connection round the back (also due to the fact the chuffin glovebox wouldn't come off completely anyway! :facepalm:)

Gonna fit everything together properly this weekend and gets some pics up. Hopefully my lady will be more than able to finally reverse it soon! :cool:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Made the satnav harness up the other day and just did a preliminary test of the camera and it works!

I did foolishly connect the camera power from the license plate light first and so confused head-scratching ensued when all i got was a blank screen. I quick reconnection to the reverse light did the trick though!

My hands were too big to squeeze in behind the glovebox, so i comprimised and took out all the screws and poppers just enough to get my hand in and fit the connection round the back (also due to the fact the chuffin glovebox wouldn't come off completely anyway! :facepalm:)

Gonna fit everything together properly this weekend and gets some pics up. Hopefully my lady will be more than able to finally reverse it soon! :cool:
Did you find somewhere to buy the plastic plug for theback of the nav unit, to go into a rca plug? I'd be happy to mae the cable if i could findwhere to get that, otherwise botching with electrical tape... :p

Glad itworks mate :) I think the camera fitment is for the USA civic, which is indeed a saloon. Let us know how you get on with fitting it to the car :)

·
Race Taxi Pilot
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you find somewhere to buy the plastic plug for theback of the nav unit, to go into a rca plug? I'd be happy to mae the cable if i could findwhere to get that, otherwise botching with electrical tape... :p

Glad itworks mate :) I think the camera fitment is for the USA civic, which is indeed a saloon. Let us know how you get on with fitting it to the car :)
I had to improvise.

Maplin do a 10-way molex connector, which if you cut off three of the connectors on one end, fits perfectly.

Only there is one small problem.

The connector is sold without any pins! Fortunately, it uses exacly the same pins you find in a typical computer cooling fan. I have plenty of these gathering dust, so it was just a case of cutting them off the fan and making the satnav harness with them. Simples! :cool:

·
Race Taxi Pilot
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not even the rain could stop me. :)

As promised, here's a couple of photos of my now fully fitted and functional reverse parking camera!

Just above the rear license plate

From the SatNav screen

Fortunately, with the car being NHB, the camera is quite easy to miss, unless you look for it, of course.

All in all, the mod cost me way under £20, including overseas delivery for the camera and all the other bits. It would have been nice to have a unit which was simply plug and play, but I have found no such items readily available for european Civics. (Unless you want to spend hundreds on the Honda solution).

Coupled with the rear parking sensors, parking should now be a doddle! :cool:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Very nice =) did you just glue it? Where did you feed the cable through?

I like, will have to get one of them connector blocks =)

·
Race Taxi Pilot
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, I was just about to point you all to Bog's excellent guide, but you beat me to it!

Must thank you also Bog, for installation without it would have been a lot harder! (trying to feed the cable through the C-pillar was a bit of a pain!)

[smilie=gt-happyup.:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts