2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gentlemen (and ladies),

i recently bought the model v from xCarLink mainly for USB-MP3. i listen to podcasts a lot and my 2007/2008 civic could not do that without a CDR (which is nowhere near as green as i want to be)

anyway, my experience:

1) the unit arrived with a different aux-in plug than pictured on their web page. i expected a 3.5 mm jack but got a micro-USB connector with a 3.5 mm extension lead. there is no engineer in the world inventing such a solution. i still can't believe it.

their web page displays the new unit now: Honda USB/SD MP3 Interface Model V*::*HONDA*::*XCarLink

2) it plugs in the aux-cd changer socket in the back of the unit as promised. first i was afraid my head unit (the one with an in-dash 6CD changer) did not have an aux cd changer connector. a prompt answer from Jan @xCarLink assured me that the head unit was compatible and that was true.

3) turning on the unit is done by pressing CD/AUX button twice which cycles to the next available device, in my case the USB memory stick. however - it doesn't always start to play. sometimes it remains with CD 4-99 on the screen and nothing happens. cycling the selector a few times gets it running.

4) selecting the folders/songs: you can organize your media by sorting them into folders named CD01, CD02 etc. then you can cycle through them with DISC+/- buttons and skipping-rewinding with CH+/- buttons on the steering wheel or regular CD skipping buttons. NOTE: the dash CD buttons can be used for FF/REW, the steering wheel CH+/- do not function that way, just for skipping. no MP3 info is displayed as it is an analogue device by connection, just CD#, track#.

now, IF you sync your media automatically, like i do, for example Windows Media Player, then you'll have a folder named "Music" in the root folder and Artist names under that. the unit recognizes the songs there and treats them as CD01. if the unit plays songs in let's say CD03, which is your last folder and then returns to the first songs, which are not in CD01 folder, rather in the Music folder, then it loses track of track numbers (pun intended) and you'll see them as, let's say, track 80. sometimes it's just lost in the folders, it just acts like there was one big folder with all the music. the order of the songs are not always file name based, i have no idea why some songs are shuffled.

5) sound quality: that's the biggest dissapointment. podcasts are usually well compressed MP3-files, which is too much for xCarLink model V. the sound has artifacts, bubbling noise and static. first i had hard time dealing with it but i'm almost used to it by now. music is okay. the unit has a habit of swallowing the ends of files. one second of every file end is truncated. you don't usually notice that in music but you miss the last words of podcasts.

6) continuity: most of the time it remembers the time marker when you turn it on. sometimes it starts in a random moment in the file. again - doesn't matter for a 3-minute song but you hate that in an hour long podcast.

conclusion:

worth the money?

yes

would i recommend it?

no, if dension or other known brand names can do it as expected.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i have just used the AUX-cable for my MP3-player for the 1st time. the micro-USB connector in xCarlink Model V has a lousy connection and most of the time i'm missing the right channel.

:mad:

·
Registered
827 Posts
Anybody tried the Xcarlink model 6 (SDHC support) ?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4)...the order of the songs are not always file name based, i have no idea why some songs are shuffled.
i have just tested the song order issue: apparently it plays to the file creation time, nothing else. copy first - play first.

6) continuity: most of the time it remembers the time marker when you turn it on. sometimes it starts in a random moment in the file. again - doesn't matter for a 3-minute song but you hate that in an hour long podcast.
i have noticed another weird thing regarding this issue: the head unit displays the correct, previous time marker when it starts playing, but the actual time is a lot earlier. now, when you fast forward, then the head unit display starts showing the actual (earlier) time marker. so the good part in the bad case is that you first see where the time marker was left in previous session and you can fast forward to it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts