2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Have done a search but couldn't find any specific answers.

I have a 56 plate Civic with a factory fitted cd-changer in the arm-rest. I never use it. Can I just unscrew the armrest and remove the cd changer and connect whatever cable is in there to an XCarlink? I'm concerned i'm going to have problems with male/female connectors. Would I need to buy the extra Y cable?

Also, I plan on getting the XCarlink with the proper iPod connector. Does anyone know if the song name displays on the dash?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Sorry mate that will not be possible.

The Xcarlink will have to plug directly into the back of the headunit as it is a male connector. The lead that is coming out for the CD changer currently has a male end connector so they will not fit.

You only need the Y cable if you wish to use both the CD changer and the Xcarlink. I have this mainly to allow more length on the Xcarlink as the cable is quite short.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello

I had exactly the same situation as you.

The guys here are right you cannot plug the cable from the xcarlink into the cable that went into cd changer. Instead I left the cable in situ and ran the xcarlink cable parallel to it, then unplugged the original cd changer cable from the back of the head unit and replaced it with the xcarlink cable. I did this by just reaching up the back of the unit - without removing the headunit itself.

One thing to bear in mind is - It is not possible to swap the cables in the armrest compartment without also knocking out the pivot pin of the actual armrest. This is because the armrest itself blocks access to some screws that hold a metal bracket in place - this bracket makes the hole too small for the connectors to pass through so the only option is to remove it to swap the cables.

The xcarlink does not display track names and numbers, but this is something that I have got used to from my previous car so it didn't bother me.

Hope this helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.