2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

A quick question: does anyone know how you can change the beam pattern of the Xenon lights for driving in France etc? Had a look at the manual and nothing in there....

Or is it a trip to the dealer?

Thanks

Glen

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Does it work the same as ordinary lights. Stick something on the lenses to divert the beam ?

·
Registered
277 Posts
elfa7 - I was thinking that as well. On my old Porsche which has xenons (they call it litronic !!) I noticed in the manual that on the back of each headlamp unit was a lever you could move depending on whether you were driving on the left or the right hand side of the road.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Newboy said:
elfa7 - I was thinking that as well. On my old Porsche which has xenons (they call it litronic !!) I noticed in the manual that on the back of each headlamp unit was a lever you could move depending on whether you were driving on the left or the right hand side of the road.
yep - had exactly the same on my TT (with Xenons also).

haven't had a dig in the Civic yet, but would imagine it's the same :)

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
As far as I am aware the rules across the ditch say that you should carry spare bulbs for your lights, indicator, side and head, - always.

Those HID things cost £100 a time!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
elfa7 said:
Does it work the same as ordinary lights. Stick something on the lenses to divert the beam ?
I don't think you can do this. The reason washers are fitted is to prevent overheating due to crap on the lens. This means that anything you stick on there will also get cooked!

I will have a shufty under the bonnet tomorrow to see what I can find.

Cheers

Glen

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
I did a run across the water a while back and used some beam diverters from Halfords. It worked fine just to take the left hand dip off, actually you don't need the full sticker to do this. I did leave mine on for months and months though and they became a pain to remove, so best take them off as soon as you return.
I never had any problems with overheating (first I've herd of this! ) I did most of my 12,000+ miles at night with those things on and no probs, or was it just the cool UK weather?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi,

Before my recent trip to France I checked this out with my dealer and he said that
the new headlights have a flat beam pattern anyway and so you don't need an adaptor.

I didn't bother and didn't get flashed once while driving over there.

Roger

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
Flat beam pattern? If so the lamps are set incorrectly!
Try facing the car about 3-5metres from a wall and switching the lamps on (best done when it's dark :wink: ).
You should see a 'kinked' line from each lamp, should be very defined you can cover each lamp in turn to see it's pattern. To blank off the left hand dip place a sticker close to the bumper on each lamp.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Don't you just love dealers and their "nah, you'll be alright mate" comments! My lights have a very noticeable fan up to the left. Annoys people in the left lane on the motorway...

·
Registered
277 Posts
We'll know for sure when our cars start needing an MOT as I'm sure the lights are tested and to make sure the patterns fall within the rules.

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
If the lights fail the MOT, then it will be up to Honda to modify. 8)

·
Registered
336 Posts
I think I have found the adjustment for the HID lights on my EX!

If you open the bonnet and look at the Black Plastic right above the lights there are markings with arrows.

There are 2 on each side.

Each has a semi circular arrow with 2 markings :-

One says U and D (Up and Down) with a Headlight symbol and a 10% marking. Seems to indicate you can adjust the headlight height by 10%. The adjustment is the rubber knob right by the marker.

The other marker says L and R and just behind the marker and down behind the grill is a white plastic hexagonal socket that looks like it move the reflector or bulb.

Ian

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Hi Parky, I thought the EX had auto adjust for up and down ?.

·
Registered
336 Posts
elfa7 said:
Hi Parky, I thought the EX had auto adjust for up and down ?.
It does. but you would still need some adjustment to get the start level right.

For instance to pass an MOT (In the future) lights have to be correct, with the adjusters they can be set if they happen to get out of the limits.

Ian

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
I haven't had any problems from other motorists, so I presume this adjustment was done with the PDI. I'll Phone the Dealer later. :wink:

·
Registered
336 Posts
elfa7 said:
I haven't had any problems from other motorists, so I presume this adjustment was done with the PDI. I'll Phone the Dealer later. :wink:
Actually thinking about it again, the L and R adjustment will just be for slight movements left and right, not to change the beam pattern for the continent.

Ian

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
What about standard lights?

Hi off to france for christmas and new year, do we just buy the usual deflectors from halfords or do we need to do something special? Take it the 3 door lights are identical to the 5 door ?
Dealer did the usual dont know routine !
thanks
Steve

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
Hi off to france for christmas and new year, do we just buy the usual deflectors from halfords or do we need to do something special? Take it the 3 door lights are identical to the 5 door ?
Dealer did the usual dont know routine !
thanks
Steve
Steve,
You can do it with some tape as a cheaper option, roughly a 2" disc should be enough. Indeed the 3 door lamps are identical to the 5 door albeit without the HID;) .

·
Registered
23 Posts
My pilot and co-pilot want to take me on a booze flight soon and are concerned about my eyes - want to make sure they point in the right direction and don't annoy any of those continental cruisers. has anyone come up with a definitive answer yet for eye divertion or is it a choice between Halfords, Duck Tape or chancing it. My pilot says his old Accord craft had neat clip ons - but I guess my eyes are just too big.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts