2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tried to book a year 6 service on a 13 1.4ivtec with 58k, all straight forward apart from the £535 quote and they want to change coolant and gear oil ?? Take it the dealer is making up their own service schedule ??!!

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Yeah my dealer wanted to do those plus an air con service, rear brake pads and a couple of front tyres........almost £1000 of extras....fat chance

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
There are some classic upsells from the dealer; My recent second year service came with offers of an aircon regas, glorified-redex, and a brake service (Take out and whack on some copper anti-sieze)

To be fair in this instance, as it's up to 6 years now, I'd say you are due for transmission oil and Coolant; The factory coolant is usually given a 5 year service time with shorter ~3 year intervals after this.
Whilst it's not the most critical thing to change, it's worth keeping on top of if you want the longest life.

As for the transmission, It should be replaced at 6 years / 75000 Miles on a normal service schedule, so that's a legitimate reccomendation too imo:- https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Nf0ILrXSEHQpa9E-inZT70e19Oo_QGWl Have a look at page 74 :)

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
To be frank I don't disagree but when they slide other 'recommendations' in at the same time and charge eye watering amounts they can't be surprised if people balk at the price and don't take them up on these. Next time I will study the service schedule more closely

£20 for 2L of Honda MT Fluid - £85 charge
£24 for 6L of Honda coolant - £85 charge

I'll keep my Honda FSH and save myself £150 by doing it myself

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
I don't disagree - could probably save a bit on the fluid changes if you took up a bit of driveway spannering.

Have a look at the chrisfix videos - a benefit of the 1.4 is that it's a nice simple NA engine in a bay for va 2.2 diesel, so it's as good a place as any to look around and access parts if you want to try your hand.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts