2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Bought a 2015 Honda Civic Tourer I-DTEC EX+ a few months ago, 40k miles on the clock. Weather has only just warmed up where I live, and realised the A/C isn't able to cool down at all, but warms up just fine.

Long story short, fans didn't seem to come on, fixed that by hitting the relays in the under-bonnet fuse box (although could't find out online or from the manual which relay was the one that it should be), but even after that still warm air blowing. Checked the pressure in the low side of the A/C system, very low so put in a can of leak stop to re-pressurise, still couldn't see a compressor kicking in anywhere. Now, I think I know which the compressor is under the bonnet, but I can't actually find anywhere to confirm this, the belt is spinning around it but the side plate isn't moving (which if I understand right means the compressor clutch isn't engaging even with normal low side pressure).

Seen several forums about hitting other relays (tried to hit them all, no dice), so am fairly sure the compressor is going to be the issue, but as the COVID situation has now meant the people I bought it from can't seem to get the warranty info to me, would be great if anyone knows/has a picture of which thing I should be looking at under the bonnet to be sure it is the compressor!

Sorry, I'm fairly crap with cars, better with most other things!
Cheers,
Tom

·
i-Vtec
2,528 Posts
The Gen8 was always bad for the AC relay failing, don't know if this had carried over to the Gen 9 though. Open the under bonnet fuse box and pull the relays one at a time. Give each a shake. If any rattle its knackered and this may be your issue. You have checked the fuses under bonnet and in the cabin too?
This is what the AC relay looks like on the gen8, id be surprised if its different in the gen9.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there,

Just been out, pulled every relay and no rattling. Removed any fuse that had ACC or anything vaguely mentioning air con, all are ok. Did the same for the driver and passenger side fuses too.

Took a picture (attached), its v hard to get the phone or any camera in the right place for a good shot, but essentially I am standing looking toward the back of the car. On the left side of the engine is an obvious belt, with three wheels. The top two wheels (labelled) are spinning, the bottom wheel is not obviously spinning but the belt is going round it nicely with no noise, and that bottom (or lower) wheel is the one I am thinking is the compressor clutch plate area - does that sound/look right?

Thanks a million,
Tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I thought, pressure is fine as just filled up the gas. Either electrical or compressor itself then (can see a fair few threads about faults, some in cars even newer than mine), will take it to the shop,
Many thanks for your help!
Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Tom,
Hi there,

Just been out, pulled every relay and no rattling. Removed any fuse that had ACC or anything vaguely mentioning air con, all are ok. Did the same for the driver and passenger side fuses too.

Took a picture (attached), its v hard to get the phone or any camera in the right place for a good shot, but essentially I am standing looking toward the back of the car. On the left side of the engine is an obvious belt, with three wheels. The top two wheels (labelled) are spinning, the bottom wheel is not obviously spinning but the belt is going round it nicely with no noise, and that bottom (or lower) wheel is the one I am thinking is the compressor clutch plate area - does that sound/look right?

Thanks a million,
Tom

View attachment 312781
Hi Tom,

My Mk9 hatchback (2013) is doing exactly this. Did you get yours sorted?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi there,
Not yet, due to go in tomorrow. A/C compressor clutch mechanism had failed, but as mine is an estate it is a slightly different part to the standard civic, so had to wait for a Honda dealer to open to source the part as was seemingly impossible online!
Hope yours gets sorted soon, with this weather its unbearable - even all windows down on the motorway feels like Im running headlong into a continual fart!
Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
Small hijack, but do the 9th gen civic ever really get ice cold? I know newer car A/C systems seem to be meh due to chasing emissions but I have just come from a 2006 Kia Sorento and that and my 350z both get/got nice and chilly inside

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine does had it re-gassed last year and it’s nice and chilly. Spending time in SE Asia and the advice I was given was buy Japanese for the best AC. My previous German cars aren’t a patch on my Civic and Toyota

1 - 9 of 9 Posts