2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah, when I am free after this weekend am going to attempt to remove the bottom cover and see if I can get at the clutch shim and cut it off. If that fails will look at replacing the shim and see what happens.
So, I used the cans I linked in my last post.
The sealant itself managed to get the compressor to kick in but it was still blowing warm air. I over filled the system by accident so then released some air out the low preasured side to get it back to normal.
Left it for a couple of hours and then came back to check the preasure held ok.
Car was still blowing hot. So I filled up using the blue can. Still blowing warm. So I released all the air out the low preasure side, I thought it would release super cold gas, but in fact it released really warm air!
After I emptied it out, I filled it back up with the remaining gas in the refill can, it's got the right amount of preasure, however it's still warm.

I'm going to use a friend's EZ Chill can, he has a small amount left and will give it ago after releasing some more preasure out of my low side. Hopefully it works.
I find it strange that when I released the gas from the low side, it was actually very warm. Shouldn't this be frostbite cold? It could be the cans I used.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So, I used the cans I linked in my last post.
The sealant itself managed to get the compressor to kick in but it was still blowing warm air. I over filled the system by accident so then released some air out the low preasured side to get it back to normal.
Left it for a couple of hours and then came back to check the preasure held ok.
Car was still blowing hot. So I filled up using the blue can. Still blowing warm. So I released all the air out the low preasure side, I thought it would release super cold gas, but in fact it released really warm air!
After I emptied it out, I filled it back up with the remaining gas in the refill can, it's got the right amount of preasure, however it's still warm.

I'm going to use a friend's EZ Chill can, he has a small amount left and will give it ago after releasing some more preasure out of my low side. Hopefully it works.
I find it strange that when I released the gas from the low side, it was actually very warm. Shouldn't this be frostbite cold? It could be the cans I used.
It will only be cold if it is going through the whole system ok i.e the condensor and then explanding again I would imagine. Hoping to get some free time and be up for removing the bottom cover on Tuesday.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ok, so now that the sun is here, and after having the gas changed the start of May.... my aircon has stopped working! So far, the relay and fuses seem to be ok but both fans at the front aren't turning, and the clutch isn't kicking in. Pressing the low line pressure valve in a bit, stuff is leaking out from the sounds of things, so it can't be empty. Shorting out the pressure switch pins (2 and 3) turns on both fans and engages the clutch for a few seconds, before the clutch disconnects and the fans slow and stop. I haven't got anyway to test just how much gas is in the system so will have to take it somewhere for testing. Anyone got any other ideas of what else it could be? Low gas due to leak? Low gas because it wasn't filled up to the correct pressure? A faulty pressure switch? Am just glad it isn't the clutch shim as I really didn't fancy tackling that!
So there’s a way to test if the compressor clutch needs shimming or not by shorting the pressure switch pins?

I’ve not seen anything in the How-to related to this, could do with a quick How-to from you, if you’re up for it? With pics!

My aircon worked for 2 days when I last regassed a few years ago but haven’t had a chance to come back to it. With the amount of condensation build up on the windows, I need it in winter as much as in summer!

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Will know more tomorrow, I ended up having to change the shim on the clutch in the end, as everything started to point towards it being a problem. All i can say is that with pressure switch jumped, when i turned the aircon on, the clutch plate on the compressor started to spin, and the two fans kicked in for a few seconds before stopping and the clutch plate released. With a new shim in and doing the same, everything stays on until i bottled it and turned the air con off as there is no gas in it! I would try and get a feeler gauge in from the top if i was you, and see what the gap is like. If it's more than 0.5mm, it needs a new shim.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bloody shim caused all the issues. 0.3mm shim and air con gas = working ice cold air.
Nice to k ow you got it sorted. Mine is defo a leak, probably in the condenser area.
2 weeks after topping up, the clutch kicks on and off every 2 seconds, sign of low pressure.

·
Super Moderator
3,668 Posts
Guess what my FN2 a/c has decided ambient air is best for me.
Compressor spinning away nicely so booked in for a regas, last one was 3 years ago.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts