2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I have a 2007 Civic hatchback 2.2 i-ctdi. I am having a problem driving it on our roads (Bulgaria). There are some very nasty potholes, sunken sections of the road and the Civic is not coping well. I need to do something for the suspension to make it more compliant and less crashy. It is not so much that the ride is not comfortable. I had an Alfa before so I am used to hard suspension. The problem is that when I hit a pothole, sometimes it sounds like the car is going to disintegrate. Also the entire car hops and jumps. I read through most of threads and they recommend putting softer springs/ Koni FSD shocks/ MeisterR coilovers or Eibach lowering springs. However, when I think about it, seems like none of these is good for my case:
  • Koni FSD - not manufactured any more (and quite expensive)
  • MeisterR - a bit of an overkill and also sporty coilovers do not seem logical if you want to make suspension less stiff.
  • Eibach lowering springs - not a chance. The Civic is quite low already and with our lunar terrain it means goodbye oil pan
  • Softer springs - now here is the interesting part. This sounds logical initially, but...Seems like one problem of the Civic is short suspension travel. As a proof, I have felt the front suspension bottom out several times and the hit goes directly to the frame of the car. So if I put softer springs in the front things may worsen. Softer springs in the back are another thing - maybe if they start flexing some more it will take away some of the bottoming out of the front.
On the other hand there seems to be a consensus that the ride on the 9nth gen is much better. And even on the facelift 8th gen. However I did some research and looks like 9th gen spring are just as thick on the back and thicker on the front.
And then there is the question about shocks - the general consensus is that original Sachs are not good for ride and handling quality.

So to recapitulate: Can I improve my ride quality/composure and maybe handling by either of the following:
  • Upgrading only shocks (KYB or Bilstein B4)
  • Installing slightly softer springs on the back (but where to find them?)
  • Installing slightly thicker spring on the front (but again where to find them?)
  • Transferring coils and shock from facelift car or even 9th gen (if possible). This is especially interesting, but I can't seem to find much info.

Sorry for the long post, but I am really confused and I will appreciate any clarification. :)

·
i-Vtec
4,676 Posts
Start by simply replacing the rear shocks, my recommendation is Bilstein B4's. The sachs shock are much thinner than the Bilstein units, so I can only assume there was more room for gas and oil to make a better damper. Personally I dont think there is an improvement between pre and facelift Gen8 suspension, I think people just felt the difference between the fresh/old suspension. Again I don't think there is a huge difference between G8 and G9 suspension as its exactly the same rear beam on both cars and this is where most of the harshness comes from. If you trawl Lings parts numbers you might find that there is a difference in part numbers between the ES and EX springs, EX should be softer as it was more of a "plush" version, but ive never looked tbh. This would give you Sachs springs part numbers to cross reference.
Another consideration is tyres. Avoid XL rated tyres as the stiff sidewalls also promote harshness, and the Civic does not need them, but XL tyres seem to be easier to find.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, Dimicha. I felt the same way you did when I first got my car. I thought that the whole suspension was broken due to the "Crashy" ride. Turned out it was just one of the front dampers. I changed both with KYB, but honestly, there was barely any improvement. Haven't changed the rears yet. I was thinking about Bilstein 4 in the back. It is my last hope for a better ride quality. I guess we just have to accept the "crash" way that the 8 gens goes through potholes as we have a lot of them in on our "lovely" Bulgarian roads.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Start by simply replacing the rear shocks, my recommendation is Bilstein B4's. The sachs shock are much thinner than the Bilstein units, so I can only assume there was more room for gas and oil to make a better damper. Personally I dont think there is an improvement between pre and facelift Gen8 suspension, I think people just felt the difference between the fresh/old suspension. Again I don't think there is a huge difference between G8 and G9 suspension as its exactly the same rear beam on both cars and this is where most of the harshness comes from. If you trawl Lings parts numbers you might find that there is a difference in part numbers between the ES and EX springs, EX should be softer as it was more of a "plush" version, but ive never looked tbh. This would give you Sachs springs part numbers to cross reference.
Another consideration is tyres. Avoid XL rated tyres as the stiff sidewalls also promote harshness, and the Civic does not need them, but XL tyres seem to be easier to find.
Thank you. This is kind of the answer I was hoping for - that I could get away only with nicer shocks. And how about Bilsteins in the front?

Hi, Dimicha. I felt the same way you did when I first got my car. I thought that the whole suspension was broken due to the "Crashy" ride. Turned out it was just one of the front dampers. I changed both with KYB, but honestly, there was barely any improvement. Haven't changed the rears yet. I was thinking about Bilstein 4 in the back. It is my last hope for a better ride quality. I guess we just have to accept the "crash" way that the 8 gens goes through potholes as we have a lot of them in on our "lovely" Bulgarian roads.
Yes. I totally agree that the main problem are the roads. I see trucks that try to avoid potholes, so...Have you changed any bushings on control arms and rear beam? Cause I think mine need changing, but not sure if it would improve something...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes. I totally agree that the main problem are the roads. I see trucks that try to avoid potholes, so...Have you changed any bushings on control arms and rear beam? Cause I think mine need changing, but not sure if it would improve something...
No. I Didn't change any other parts yet. I guess I've kind-a already accepted the harsh ride, but will see. Might change the rear shocks and if there isn't any improvement again, I guess there won't be even if I swap the whole suspension with new parts. In which city are you located by the way?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No. I Didn't change any other parts yet. I guess I've kind-a already accepted the harsh ride, but will see. Might change the rear shocks and if there isn't any improvement again, I guess there won't be even if I swap the whole suspension with new parts. In which city are you located by the way?
I am from Veliko Tarnovo. And you? :)

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
I ordered bilstein b4 in April, rears are still on back order. Today I have asked for an alternative

·
i-Vtec
4,676 Posts
Thank you. This is kind of the answer I was hoping for - that I could get away only with nicer shocks. And how about Bilsteins in the front?
Yea fine, once you get rid on the rattles that seem to abound from loose under panels its a reasonable ride. Ok its never going to be Citroen levels of comfort but its a reasonable place to be.

Might change the rear shocks and if there isn't any improvement again,
Everyone, no exceptions, says the improvement from new rear shocks is the #1 thing to improve the ride of the G8.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Emailed bilsteins today, rears are still on back order had enough waiting and asked for a refund. Probably coming from China?
I read somewhere that they are manufactured in Romania, but I don't really know

·
Registered
38 Posts
Local dealer said that bilstein does not make parts for civic any more and warehouses are empty. I bought Sachs shocks and springs for rear end, no complaints so far.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Local dealer said that bilstein does not make parts for civic any more and warehouses are empty. I bought Sachs shocks and springs for rear end, no complaints so far.
And why not KYB (Kayaba)? Any info on them? I thin rear KYB shocks for the Civic are monotube which is supposed to be better :rolleyes:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sachs were available, they were cheaper by few euros than KYB, and they come with all bits. And description says they are monotube, whatever it means. But I believe KYBs are fine too, so whatever you get hands on, are better than old ones.

BTW, Sachs are made in netherlands :)

·
Super Moderator
3,665 Posts
Sachs were available, they were cheaper by few euros than KYB, and they come with all bits. And description says they are monotube, whatever it means. But I believe KYBs are fine too, so whatever you get hands on, are better than old ones.

BTW, Sachs are made in netherlands :)
and make the originals for Honda

·
Registered
2007 Honda Civic 5dr 1.8
1 Posts
Hey everyone, new member here.
Last year I bought a very low milage (59k kms) 2007 Civic 5dr 1.8 petrol. I thought I'll join this discussion since it's something that interests me very much.
While I really love the car, I have the same "concerns" as the author of this topic.
Right after I bought the car it went through a major service that included changing all 4 shocks. Even though only the fronts were leaking a bit, I decided to change all 4, given the age of the car.
I went for Bilstein B4s for the front and Sachs for the rear. After a few months I changed the top mounts, tie rod ends and the bump stops plus the rear beam bushings. I've had all the other suspension components checked and no issues have been found.
Even after all this I couldn't get rid of the annoying thuds when going over bump. The worse is the when going over railroad tracks. It effectively feels like all the front suspension bottoms out and all the shock goes straight through the body of the car.

I'm really thinking of getting a set of Eibach Pro Kit springs as a last resort. I found them fairly cheap ( around 150 euros ), they seems to be the correct ones for the petrol Civic ( part number E10-40-011-01-22 ) and only lower the ride height by 25 mm which is acceptable. All I want is to get rid of the horrible bangs as it bugs the hell out of me, It feels like I'm driving a car with broken suspension.

Dimicha, based on my experience, only changing the shocks won't get rid of the problem. I understand why you wouldn't want to go for Eibachs, I'm kind of having the same concerns as you but it's probably our best shot. And besides, a 25 mm drop in ride. height shouldn't be that bad. I've had Eibach Pro Kit on my previous car and I loved them ( ok, it was a 1st gen Dacia Logan with SUV like ride height from the factory but the Eibachs completely transformed the ride).

Cheers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts