21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
TYPE R GT (R-15016)
2,224 Posts
oh how the other half live , couldn't be doing with swapping tyres around lol

·
Registered
148 Posts
Maybe this should be a new thread ,but is anyone using different tyres than the stock Bridgestones and Michelins ?
I`ve been running Pzeros rosso`s on 16`s and the difference is v.noticable .....need to change them towards the end of the year.
I`m considering plus sizing to 215`s to get a bit more comfort and using Yokohama AVS db`s to keep it silent so I can find every squeak and creak in the cabin so I can get them done while its still under warranty...
Discuss

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
Well we have had a our summer ,last 2 weeks. Now get the snow chains back on lol

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Maybe this should be a new thread ,but is anyone using different tyres than the stock Bridgestones and Michelins ?
I`ve been running Pzeros rosso`s on 16`s and the difference is v.noticable .....need to change them towards the end of the year.
I`m considering plus sizing to 215`s to get a bit more comfort and using Yokohama AVS db`s to keep it silent so I can find every squeak and creak in the cabin so I can get them done while its still under warranty...
Discuss

I'm planning to put on Conti SportContact 3 on my 17" alloys next time (= next spring). They are reported good against tramlining, general high comfort and handling - on the expense of high rolling resistance. Have you considered comfortable tyres instead of plus sizing? (speedo error - lower acceleration and all that fuss)

illegalhunter - 24°C today - and I don't dare to drive lol

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hej illegaljaeger,

Difference in rolling circumference is less than 1% as speedos are inaccurate by as much as 10% anway( read slower than actual speed) and there is more rubber in contact with the road can only be better will let you know....what tyres are you running at the moment? .... Now that the snow chains are off What has everyone else shod there horses with ....hilsen jordbaer

·
TYPE R GT (R-15016)
2,224 Posts
My next set will be Toyo Proxes...............fantastic tyres , real grip in all conditions. Got them on my Mini

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ive tended to find that there is tooo much grip from the rear with the Pirelli`s which because of the chassis set up makes it impossble for the rear end to brake away at all very boring drive ,the only time it happens and this is slightly, is if I hammer it round a roundabout in the wet with the traction control turned off !!!.... the standard Bridgestones used to squeal like a shot pig when I did that but still wouldnt get it out of shape....so as the pzeros are so soft was thinking something in the between .
Treadwear for the Bridgestone are 320 i.e rock hard lasted 20k (miles),PZeros treadwear 140 probally 15k by the time they need changing and by the way they were fine last winter in the UK.
Is anyone running Yokohama C-drives (Lotus elise replacment for the discontinued pzero)Michelin pilot sport or exalto or anything else for that matter and what do they think compared to the standard tyre setup?
Would like to get some feedback guys to help make an informed choice.
Over to you

·
Registered
32 Posts
To clarify (or confuse) even more, the friction type winter tyres comes in two types:
- very soft rubber "nordic type" sold mainly in scandinavia and japan (i believe), and
- harder rubber compound "continential type".

The "nordic type" also has some effect on icy roads, and not only snow. Here in Trondheim close to 70% of private cars roll on these, the rest having studded tyres (which is taxed!). I'm using these, and they've served me well, except for one severe incident march 1999 when I ended up rolling off the road by several meters :oops:.
The soft rubber render these tyres outright dangerous on tarmac summertime (my opinion), where the "continental type" serves well (below 7°C better than summer tyres I recall reading on this forum).

I live in Portugal and, here we don't need to change from winter to summer and vice-versa [smilie=cheeky-grin:, so I enjoy a lot reading this thread.
I only get into this reality last year, cause I worked in Latvia 8 months and, I got winter and summer.
So I saw everybody talking about changing tyres :D.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts