2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all

I've had a quick search but nothing came up that helped.

Basically, after yesterday driving about 30 miles I had the 'check system's battery icon appear on my dash. There was a slight electrical whine/whistle coming from the engine bay about 1500-2000rpm too. Everything else was fine, no other issues. Fast forward to this morning and I drove about 3 miles and my dash light up like a christmas tree flashing abs, power steering icons going crazy then as I pulled over the engine started to splutter and then went completely dead. Steering wheel became heavy and brakes weren't assisted.

I turned the ignition off and to my joy the car wouldn't start, no lights, nothing, as if the battery wasn't connected. I've given all the terminals a good wiggle and the leads leading to the fuse box. Checked the fuses too and everything seems to be alright.

Going back three months or so the same issue happened which I thought was a dead battery so I changed it and had no further issues until this morning.

Anyone got any ideas what this could be? I'm pretty noob when it comes to electics so talking to me as if I'm stupid would help massively.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
18,021 Posts
If you had a replacement battery recently fitted then you should check the alternator is charging okay.

Ensure all of the battery and earth connections are secure and not corroded.

Good luck getting it fixed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess that would mean see what charge is in the battery and if it's lower than 14 would assume that is the alternator?

·
Administrator
18,021 Posts
Yes, check to see if the battery voltage increases once the engine is running a few revs.

Be careful getting the car restarted and dont leave the key in the ignition whilst messing with the battery or electrics. If you do, then you can easily ruin your ignition key.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay brilliant thank you! what's the best way of getting the car started, jump leads?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts