2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

200,000 plus club - High mileage Civics

83K views 145 replies 52 participants last post by  hondacivicnut 
2007 type s 2.2 in uk just ticked 317.000.
Quite an achievement I think View attachment 319507
Just a quick question ... What type of mpg do you get? See my picture on my other reply. I am averaging over 63mpg over last 22k and latest nearly 70. I have done several brim tests and manually calculated based on diesel I have put in a miles and it's pretty accurate. No idea how it is managing such high mpgs. It's mainly motorway driving (m4 via roadworks at 60) and M25 at 70. Do long journeys 140 miles each way every few weeks so engine gets hot. Still amazed at 211k I get such high mpg.

Wow that's not bad! I'm hopeful mine will be as reliable to get to those figures too, and you're getting nearly 70mpg! :eek:
Wow that's not bad! I'm hopeful mine will be as reliable to get to those figures too, and you're getting nearly 70mpg! :eek:
Nearly 70 was a one off. As I said over the past 23k I have averaged 63mpg. A lot of motorway driving and tbh I have a light right foot. Mpg still amazes me. Am sure it's been mapped. Goes like stink when I floor it. Goes into 6th gear from 35 and in 6th torque seems to kick in at 50. Anyone else have a mapped 2.2 and can comment?

Speedometer Vehicle Trip computer Odometer Plant
Still don't understand how my car gets so high mpg. Any comments .... See attached. Only a short journey and m4 through 60mph speed limit but over 80mpg. Starting to wonder if the mpg meter is accurate. I have done some brim tests and was spot on.

My Civic 2.2 CDTi Ex has just gone past 224k. Main issues I had over 200k miles of ownership were the DMF/Clutch (replaced at 75k, 125k and 150k) and now some electrical gremlins beginning to appear with the radio display. Other than the usual service parts, it's not missed a beat. Sold it now due to receiving a company car. Sad to see it go...
Assume on the radio display you are missing display segments. This is a common issue. Probably not worth doing but I fixed mine. If you remove the trim around the speed display you can remove the trim and fixing screws for the radio display. Once you have the radio display out (just one connector) resolder all of the display connections. They are quite a few. Few threads around which detail this. Original plus three clutches / dmfs. Wow that is a lot! Mine was replaced at 68k. Same one and it's now nearly 220k miles.

An interesting topic and excellent eye-opening replies! :)
Mine has done barely 68k miles in 14 years since new so your replies are very encouraging for the eventual next owner.
Mine has just clocked up 224k miles. Failed mot on ball joint but other than that all fine. Still averaging 64MPG over last 30k miles. Change oil every 6k miles which is I think the key to long life with any chain engine. Keep looking at replacement cars but while it is still going strong hanging on to until it dies!

Hi all, ended up here after google searches. Great that these are getting high mileages. I'm about to look at a 2008 Civic diesel, it's got 119000 miles, I was concerned about maybe needing to change the cam chain but no one on this thread has mentioned this, do they need to be changed around 120000 - suggested by google, but also I've read that they should last the life of the engine in the Honda engines. Of course it'll depend on servicing but this one has a very good service and MOT history. Hope someone still reads this thread so might be able to advise? Thanks.
Personally if it has a good service history just change the oil and filter every 6k and leave the chain alone. The cost won't justify the expense. Haven't heard of a Civic chain ever snap and normally (not always) cars with chains it's the tensioners that go or the chain stretches. Once this starts to happen you will more than likely get a cam timing warning and you will hear a more pronounced chain noise. Mine has done 224k miles on the same chain. Last famous words but not planning to change it!

Thanks Pjramsey and Das, good to know. I'll check for any rattling anyway. Always wanted one of these models of Civic so I'm looking for a change from an MR2 Roadster that I'm struggling with getting in and out - bad back, hoping the 2008 isn't too low. I had a 2003 Civic a few years ago and that just kept going and going. Difficult to find a lowish mileage example, oddly I found a 1 owner low mileage, 51000, 2007 that had failed 7 MOTs, and the one I'm looking at although higher miles has only ever failed 1 MOT
Not sure if you have purchased yet. I wouldn't be too worried about MOT failures as an indication if the car is good or not unless the failure is the same one every time! I would be more questioning about the driving pattern of a 2007 diesel which had only done 51000 miles. This is 3.5k per year and if only used driving to and from the shops, will have more wear than a higher mileage car being driven up and down a motorway. Obviously assuming both have been serviced ....

Most miles on a 1.6 i-DTEC? I've seen some with 240.000 kms or around 120k-130k miles.. but I've never saw one with more then 186k miles (300.000kms)
My 2.2 diesel is just about to clock up 234k miles. Just driven 350 miles over the last three days (mostly motorway) and on the trip meter it has registered 70mpg. Amazing engine ....

Hi there guys i drive a fn2 type r
I need some advice
Right now I was driving and my temperature gauge went all the way up so it was high
So I topped up coolant and drove around putting my foot down
The temperature was okay for abit
It went up and then it went down again
Normally when I put my foot down it doesn't go up like that
I wanted to know what everyone's advice would be?
Do you think it's thermostat?
Fan?
Waterproof?
Anything else?
Thermostat sounds likely if you are not loosing any cooling fluid and have no leaks. Next on list would be water pump. If you open the bonnet while engine running you should be able to hear if it has bad bearings but won't be able to tell if the blades are broken unless you take off the pump. Have you checked the oil to make sure there is no water in it or grey gunge around the oil filler cap. If there is you may have a blown head gasket which will cause the symptoms. I wouldn't drive far until you have resolved it.

I know for sure it's not the gasket because I checked properly
But the coolant is leaking now so I've got a strong feeling it's the water pump
How much do you think the waterpump will cost?
If you shop around about £250. It's a couple of hours work. Might as well change the aux belt at the same time. However ... Unless you can see water leaking from the housing of the water pump .. the pump if fault won't use water. It just won't pump it around. Can you trace where the water is leaking ?

is
Can't really see where it's leaking from
But its at the front of the drivers side
Is that where the water pump is?
Yes. If you look down the left hand side from front of car you will see the belt which drives the water pump. I would put a torch down there and see where it's leaking. I usually clean everything first and then run the engine. Turn off and working from the top use some kitchen roll to see where it's leaking. Problem in that area is the belt may throw water around. Also water travels down and from front to back (unless you reverse everywhere) so often drips underneath only give an rough approximation where the leak is.