2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

121 - 140 of 162 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
This shows how good these engines should be, your R3A pictures show how wrong they got it, do you have mileages/distances/year etc for these engines.
Perhaps pictures and a well worded letter to Honda describing what you have done, asking them to explain the difference and if they think it's normal and to their claimed high standards, also what effect the carbon build up will have on compression ratio, loading on the connecting rod bearings and engine knock and ultimately engine life.
Perhaps compression testing may be the answer, if it is too high and therefore above specification you may have identified a fault and have a claim that way.
Keep plugging away at them, show you are not going to go away.
I will keep thinking

James

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would be curious to see how and engine from the previous generation (R18A2) looks after 150.000km. I bet it is close to the picture posted by Alex_limpid with the new pistons.
I have asked the official importer about their position, and what can be done in this situation, and he said first I need to get a quote from a dealer (this means open the engine and see what has to be changed). As for a "goodwill" gesture from Honda, he said the quote from dealer and the service history will play the most important part. Looking back, my experience with the Honda dealerships has been very disappointing. All they did was to change the oil and filters at more than double the amount of money it was worth it. I had issues with clutch judder, some knocks coming from the right front part (I suspect the steering rack) and with some suspension noises in the rear left. All of these appeared in the first 6 months of ownership. They did nothing. About the noises in the rear suspension they said "you are right, we hear it also but there is nothing loose there. And the shock absorber test is OK".They did not even bother to change the shock absorbers from one side to another (they are the same) to check if the noise is still there. The rear view mirror started to exfoliate at a time. I told them and they said it was probably due to the substances I cleaned it with. I hadn't touched it with anything except window cleaner spray. And after all of these they dream about me giving them money after the warranty expired?
I did all my service checks in authorized units. I have stamps in the service book for each operation they performed. All the time the oil used was according to what Honda recommends. I am very disappointed about all of these.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found this thread using Google and well, my car (first registered March 2012) is affected by this as well. I've not checked what type of pistons are in there but my oil consumption issues are consistent with other reports in the thread. I use about a litre every 2000km in winter and about a litre every 1500-1600 in summer. I've noticed using 5w30 helps a bit but not much.
Like others here, I've also not noticed any blue smoke from the exhaust or any sign of leaking on the bottom. None of the MOTs also had any reports of oil leaks

There is one other thing as well. A few months ago, my car popped a check engine light. Dealer read it out, was P0420. They cleared the code, it came back about a month later, they cleared it again and came back again yesterday. In the mean time they had also informed me the catalytic converter is faulty and needs replacing (cost: 1500eur and change). I'm a bit reluctant to throw that much at a part which (reading through this thread) will likely fail again anyway as the core issue (the oil consumption) is not fixed.

The car has been serviced by Honda dealers throughout its life so far and always on time as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks guys for all the recent comments, I have read this forum since last spring, but the situation with R3A and R1A pistons was found out just a few months ago. I will definitely write to the local media, they have posted my mail last time about civic oil consumption, I'm pretty sure these news will be interesting for them too.

I have the exact same situation just as many of you. My car (Febr. 2012) is using one liter on 3000 km, and has 122000 km in it. I've not checked the type of piston, but I'm sure that I will found R3A in it.
Now just I'm not sure what to do, sell the car soon before it's getting worse, or change pistons and rings and use the car for a long time. What do you suggest? Btw I have no other problem with the car, and I'm satisfied with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interestingly enough, after 4 ~50km drives, the check engine light went off again and hasn't come back on since so that may be a fluke.

I'm starting to suspect the dealer may be off base with the cat needing replacement and I'm more leaning towards sensor issue.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi guys, I have the same problems and I've just finished to read the thread. Now I have 116.000 km and I've put more than 4 litres in 8.000 km.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If can be useful I have the spare parts number for the pistons with rings: 06131R1A305
It says the part is discontinued. But I found these ones:
I do not know what is the difference between these two. Anyway, the price is no so high. I assume if the fix is done in a good shop (but not in a dealership) it could be done with 1000-1200 eur.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It says the part is discontinued. But I found these ones:
I do not know what is the difference between these two. Anyway, the price is no so high. I assume if the fix is done in a good shop (but not in a dealership) it could be done with 1000-1200 eur.
The second link you provided is for oversized pistons. They are used only in the case of major refurbishment, when cylinder liners need to be bored. You also have to remember that apart from the 13010-R1A-A00 pistons you also have to buy a set of rings (13011-RNA-A01). If you are interested in purchasing replacements, then the TPR 32402 and RIKEN 16057 sets are worth considering. There are no aftermarket (non-Honda manufactured) replacements for pistons.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone, seems that piston reference could be identified directly on the side of the motor.
See pictures (not from me). I will check by myself this evening.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey guys,

I checked what Pierig described in the previous post, and it seems to be true.

Like described previously in this post, I checked few monthes ago with a small camera and my engine pistons have a R3A reference at the top. Tonight I checked on the side of the engine and the R3A reference is easily visible : IMG-20200121-192257

That could be a very easy way to check if you have such oil consomption problems, thank you Pierig for this information :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone

I have the same problem on my 2014 Civic, I bought it in July 2017 and the problem seems the get worse. The mileage is 52k. If @Pierig and @Clem would like to share contact information we could send our case to Honda France?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello everyone

I have the same problem on my 2014 Civic, I bought it in July 2017 and the problem seems the get worse. The mileage is 52k. If @Pierig and @Clem would like to share contact information we could send our case to Honda France?
Hello, @brothermekki,

do you also have faulty R3A pistons? I have been investigating this problem for over half a year, but this would be the first known case in Civic from 2014.

121 - 140 of 162 Posts