2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Staffs Deltic Shed Thread

171K views 2K replies 127 participants last post by  Revs FN2 
#1 · (Edited)
Thought it was about time to start a mdoifications thread so here goes..........

Only other performance car I had was the Corsa VXR as below.

Really liked the Corsa (and still have a soft spot for it) but circumstances mean't it had to go. A 12 month spell with a Fiesta diesel followed and one I do not intend to repeat. I realised I don't like diesels!

When looking for a new car I couldn't decide what to have. Mate had an FN2 and I had been to a couple of Civinfo meets. Out of the blue I saw one for sale on the internet at the right price. Five days later the deal was done and the first pic of it is on the day I picked it up.

Wasn't long before I got the itch to modify (2 weeks). Now the Corsa only had a couple of small mods and that was all I intended for the FN2. Off to ABP and a set of Eibach 15mm springs, Stoptech braided lines, Fast Road Setup and gold painted calipers. Car handles totally different to standard. Corners on rails!

Next up I added the Skunk2 gearknob to add better feel to the shift.

Next on the list was a Mugen oil cap that came up for sale on the forum, so offer accepted and it was fitted as soon as it arrived.

Thats all I have time for at the moment, I have done more to the car and will update the thread when time allows. Thanks for reading.:D

See less See more
#4 ·
Hate corsa's so I'll no comment on that :p lol

Your car looks great though and sounded great, lookin forward to following this thread :popcorn: think the TB makes it tho ;) lol
Cheers Dave.

Corsa was a good car, it was the stimga attached to it that was the problem.

Car wouldn't be what it is today without the TB.:)

#3 ·
you had more mods done paul ? ;)

what happened to "mum's the word" or have i let the cat out of the bag..... :facepalm:

#8 ·
Next came a bit of a downer.

Cleaning the car one morning and found the a patch of paintwork on the front wing had come off. Literally the top layer of paint had gone as shown in the pics.

The paintwork wasn't brilliant with scratches & stone chips on the bonnet and few other marks etc. The result was the following spray work being done:

1. Respray offending wing
2. Respray bonnet + other wing due to stone chips
3. Respray drivers side rear quarter panel due to what looks like someone's bad attempt to polish a mark out (and made a bigger mess)
4. Patch up the roof where some crazy paving has appeared around a chip.
5. Repair a scuff to a side skirt.
6. Respray top of passenger door (above window) where it looks like someone has been closing the door whilst wearing a ring or two.

I could have gone for a full respray but weighing up the durability of modern paint, thought it better to just have the worst bits done and save the money for other mods in the future.

#14 ·
Car looks so clean Paul! Shame about the paintwork prob.

Keep the updates coming mate :)

Reactions: Staffs Deltic
#15 ·
Next up was to find someone selling Flashpro. My original idea was to just run with the group N map and then probably next year add some other mods and get it all mapped.

Anyway, I was having a browse on fleabay one evening and there was a Flashpro unit for sale from a Honda dealer. First thing to do was ask if it was unlocked; question posted on ebay. I decided then to give them a ring the following morning. Don't know what numpty I got on the phone but he obviously had no idea about Flashpro 'of course its locked' was the reponse! Put me on to someone else please. Spoke to one of the managers and explained how Flashpro worked and he gave me an assurance that it would be unlocked (they had the car on site). He then asked if I had seen the other bits they had for sale.............no but I will have a look.

To cut a long story short the car they had in had been part-ex'd with an RRC / CPL CAI / CPL Manifold / Hondata Gasket / CPL Fuel rail. The previous owner couldn't be bothered to take them off so the dealer had to do it. The Flashpro was listed on its own but the other items were grouped together as one listing. All I had to do was bid..........

Next issue was that I was away when the listings were due to end, so quick lesson for my old man on how to bid on ebay and most important - when to put your final bid in! My old mans bidding was successful:D:D:D

A couple of weeks later the goods arrived.........

Forgot to take pics of the other box of goodies!

My intentions were to hold on to all the bits until next year bar the manifold. I have said it all along, I want my car to be legal and am not prepared to throw away the cat, therefore I sold the manifold.

A few days after getting the Flashpro I loaded up the group N map. What a difference in the car. The car was so much more responsive than before with VTEC coming in earlier I was surprised at what a difference it made.

That then got me itching to get the other bits fitted. Only issue was I wanted an exhaust & FD2 throttle body to complement the RRC. Making sure I have the bits I want before paying for a remap to save having to go back again.

Speaking to a few members on the forum I explained that I wanted an exhaust that was quiet while pottering around everyone recommended the HKS. Luckily, Sumopower had an offer on and so one was ordered (delivered the following morning).

Only thing left was the throttle body. Dave (DPG87) had one for sale and I immediately bought it off him. His car was going to TDI on 4th Nov and it was agreed that we would complete the sale the following day at the rolling road event.

A couple of weeks later I was down at TDI to meet up with Colin (Pigdog) and a few others. Colin's car was having some new panels fitted and a mini meet was arranged to see the results. Unfortunately Colin's car wasn't ready but we had a laugh regardless. While there I mentioned to Paul @ TDI about what I had and about getting the bits fitted etc. He comes up with the idea of getting it all done on the rolling road day. Took all of 2 seconds to agree.

Fast forward 5th Nov..............

Arrival at TDI early as my car was 1st on the rollers to get stock values as shown in pic.

The car was then wheeled away for Neil & Ben to fit the new goodies..

Exhaust fitted (blurred pic but you get the idea)

Stripped ready for RRC etc

The new throttle body courtesy of Dave (DPG87)

The completed installation

The car was then taken back in for its remap.

I have detailed elsewhere that there were some problems getting it mapped. Paul tried to MAF tune the car however the injectors were maxing out at 6-6500rpm. Paul then decided to go for a MAP tune. The result is shown in the attached graph.

Everyone at TDI worked hard and it was a long day. We left about 20.00hrs having been there from 08.10hrs, I felt knackered and all I had been doing was walking round taking pics and chatting. God knows what the TDI lads must have felt like.

The results:

Stock 210.9bhp & 147lb/ft

Mapped 226.3bhp & 164lb/ft

The drive home was a whole new experience. The car pulls so well from low down the rev range. The gains from the work don't seem that much 15bhp & 17lb/ft of torque but the car drives so totally different. There is more torque available lower down the rev range and the car is transformed.

Sunday 6th Nov, did a write up for the forum and then thought I would go out for a spin. Quick check under the bonnet and to my dismay there was a fuel leak on the CPL fuel rail. There is a grub screw on the top of the rail and fuel was leaking from it. Spin out cancelled.

I wasn't going to have the fuel rail fitted originally as I was going to get an RRC cover; however I thought a bit of bling wouldn't hurt so decided on the day to get it fitted. So it was a little frustrating to have the problem. I had been thinking of selling it beforehand and am glad that I hadn't as someone else would have been disappointed. Joys of buying 2nd hand parts!:(

Following day after speaking to Paul @ TDI I wrapped a cloth around the rail and set off for Warrington hoping that I wasn't about to go up in smoke. Thankfully arrived there in one piece and Neil put the original rail back on at my request.

Big thanks to all @ TDI North for their hard work and assistance.

Drive back home I gave it the beans. Few things to note:

1. As soon as VTEC comes on the car sounds like it has the HKS RSK fitted, the CPL CAI sounds superb.

2. Exhaust has nice thrum around 2500-3000 revs when you put your foot down. I am expecting it to get a little louder when it cokes up a bit but it is definately the right choice if you don't want a loud exhaust.

3. The RRC is luke warm to touch immediately after a run, the Hondata gasket is really keeping temps in the intake down.

4. The extra power / torque is making the need for an lsd more noticeable.

One very very happy FN2 owner.:D:D:D

Attachments

#17 ·
Great right up as always paul. puts a lot of us to shame! well me anyway :)

#23 ·
Whats all this i hear about new brakes Paul??? :)

#24 ·
Ha ha, you been reading Loxy's thread?

Ordered the Stoptech Touring kit from ABP (under their offer) but wondering whether I should bite the bullet and get the BBK instead. Going to have a run out hopefully in their car next week before I make my final decison. Will also see what feedback John gives on his now he's run them for a short period.

I just need to make my mind up.:confused::confused::confused:

#25 ·
hehe yeah i saw your post on Loxy's thread. I don't know anything about the difference really - what do you get with the touring kit? i dont find mine are too bad now with standards but with lines and pads done really.

#26 ·
The touring kit is shown in the link:

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/abp-motorsport/47995-stoptech-touring-4-pot-fn2-kit-new.html

I've already had the lines fitted but I'm bothered about what happens on track next year which is obviously where any deficiency in brakes will be highlighted. I'll probably end up paying the extra for the BBK to be on the safe side. Just have to wait and see what the run out in ABP's car is like before deciding.

#27 ·
ah i see - track days planned for next year eh! what does tp have in his fn2? Ben at tdi north took me for a spin in the R33 and he said that had the same brakes as tp's fn2. the r33 is heavier and stopped in a scary short stretch of road. proper seatbelt tightening stuff! if its the stoptech bbk then in an fn2 must be amazing!

#32 ·
Went out for a run to Wrexham and the good people at Demon Tweeks today.

Here is are a couple of pics when I got there.....

The car was taken into the workshops..........

The car came out of the workshop looking like this.............

Photos don't really do the alloys justice, they look far better up close and personal! Have to thank Colin (Pigdog) for these Pro Race 1.2 wheels; saw his set at Donny earlier in the year and wanted a set straight away!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

#37 ·
im running same tyres as you.. be warned nice in the dry.... a bit well erm rubbish in wet :p
Had 'em on my (dare I say it) Corsa VXR and had no probs in wet. Perhaps its your driving Chris!! lol

#41 ·
Wheels look great Paul! Very nice indeed mate :cool:

#43 ·
Thats very nice i've been thinking about some Pro Race's as they are light and strong and not mega expensive. If you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for wheels and tyres? Tweeks isnt far from me.

Thanks

Chris
Will PM you.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.