2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bought my Civic at 120,000 Miles.....seeing other cars get to over 200,000 gives me hope!

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,404 Posts
Nice achievement. Original broom having only changed the handle twice and broom head three times ..... . Hope mine has a equally gifted life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Currently on 162k. Bought it at 131k and had it 18 months. The only bad thing was the timing chain did make a slight rattle at idle so I decided to get it fixed. Apart from a leaky front shock its been actually pretty good. Quite impressed. It is very Fussy about what oil it takes though.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Hi, You right, the grade and brand of oil is important. My is on 204k and I use Shell helix 5w-40 without any problems. It drinks 1l of oil between services.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi, You right, the grade and brand of oil is important. My is on 204k and I use Shell helix 5w-40 without any problems. It drinks 1l of oil between services.
Yeah I agree. I found that Mobil1 0w40 turbo diesel is the best. Doing about 12k miles a year and it doesnt drink any oil. Surprisingly I find the recommended oil Castrol 5w30 is some of the worst. It would drink 3 or 4 litres between oil changes if i fill it with that,

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,865 Posts
It would worry me too, but it’s smooth as a whistle and quiet. Some people ask me if my car is hybrid or electric!
I don't doubt that it runs well, but often excessive oil consumption is because the turbo bearing seal has failed (maybe because of the bearings being worn). If the leakage becomes too great, then a situation called 'catastophic diesel runaway' can occur where the engine races uncontrollably, cannot be turned off and destroys itself. Lots of vidclips on YouTube of this happening...

·
Registered
195 Posts
I don't doubt that it runs well, but often excessive oil consumption is because the turbo bearing seal has failed (maybe because of the bearings being worn). If the leakage becomes too great, then a situation called 'catastophic diesel runaway' can occur where the engine races uncontrollably, cannot be turned off and destroys itself. Lots of vidclips on YouTube of this happening...
Can you not quickly get into under the bonnet and starve the engine of air? or is there not a fuel cut off switch? or inertia?

·
Administrator
18,083 Posts
Some folks have tried putting their hands over the intake and found that the force is enough to injure themselves.

I wouldn't want to be anywhere near a run away derv.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,865 Posts
Can you not quickly get into under the bonnet and starve the engine of air? or is there not a fuel cut off switch? or inertia?
A fuel cut off would make no difference... it's found another supply of fuel that cannot be shut off and doesn't come via the injectors.

If you could easily block the air intake then that would stop it, but on most modern cars you need to dismantle a fair few things to get to a point that could be blocked. Which would mean you'd be working next to a runaway engine that might throw out pieces of conrod or worse at any moment...

21 - 40 of 70 Posts